A Noob's Guide to (Online) Security

Yep, it is open source. I wish I know how to edit the source code so I can make Brave for 32-bit Linux builds.

@1TheNoobestNoob, hey!

I’m wondering if I should use BitLocker on drive c or not, would it slow down my computer?

1 Like

BitLocker only helps if your physical computer is stolen (which is unlikely). In terms of speed I’d imagine it slows down app load time a bit because it has to decrypt the app?

1 Like

This is a super amazing tutorial you’ve made. Especially with everything that’s been going on recently. Thank you for making this.

1 Like

The issue with hosting your own VPN is that now you have to trust the people running the server farm, who may be less willing to protect your server. IMO, it’s better to be using a boneified VPN service that has proven they won’t track you, proven though something like a court case.

Looks like Brave is a good browser! With everything that you have explained, you made me think that Brave is the best browser. I might try it later.

Should I make a Team Conejin Browser? :thinking:

1 Like

If you’re not using Windows Pro, Veracrypt is great open source encryption software that is free. It can encrypt Windows systems, full drives, or just create an encrypted container that is stored like a file. It even does plausable deniabilty, so if you have files that you really don’t want someone to get access to (such as a cryptocurrency wallet), but they have blackmail or even a court order, you can give them a password to a fake volume.

For Linux, there is LUKS, which should be built into most linux distros. LUKS can encrypt your linux install, however this has to be done when you’re installing Linux. You can also encrypt drives with this, however, you have to have LUKS-compatible software when you want to open this volume in something other than linux. Also, LUKS doesn’t have any plausable deniability.

TL;DR Veracrypt for people on windows and any drives that you will use across multiple OSes. LUKS for Linux.