A Rainbow for Your SurfaceAppearances [Studio Only]

Love it! Now to go back and start removing the hacks I used to mimic this before. Thanks! :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

I’m so glad it’s finally here, thank you so much!
Now we just need to be able to see the material(variant) underneath for even more customisation.

11 Likes

This is great! Now I won’t have to manually create new tree leaf textures when I want different color variants; I can just edit the colors inside of studio.

8 Likes

Great update, was needed for a long time. Is there the possibility of emissive texture support being added to SurfaceAppearance (and custom materials) soon as well?

15 Likes

I am just waiting for my studio to get this update so I can try this out, thank you so much for this update it was well-needed!

Thank you!

7 Likes

WOOHOO!!! This is so exciting!!!

9 Likes

We are so back

nah but seriously good job roblox this was actually very much needed!

10 Likes

I was wanting to ask this too. I like this update, it’s great and appreciated, but what will really get me celebrating is emission maps.

8 Likes

his change was quite necessary since it was somewhat strange that the texture color could not be modified for a few years, so I probably agree with the other developers that we are grateful. I wanted to thank the entire team behind this :rainbow:

13 Likes

This is great, now if I could just remember all the stuff I wanted to color but couldn’t…

6 Likes

i wish you could set the values higher than 255 to make the mesh glow like you can do with decals

32 Likes

Finally! Now we need a tilling slider, a levels slider for roughness, emission map and it’ll be insane!

10 Likes

emission maps is already a thing, the default cracked lava uses it. roblox kept the tech for themselves for whatever reason

28 Likes

This is a great update. I no longer have to upload 99999999 images to see which one looks the best

9 Likes

This is awesome, dont wan’t to seem greedy here, but I would love if we get a similar feature for roughness and metalness. For instance, it would be very useful for making wet / reflective variants of assets for rainy environments without having to upload variants.

7 Likes

Emission maps is all I want from SurfaceAppearance instances now. Once that’s added, oh boy…

4 Likes

This is a special day for ROBLOX.

6 Likes

I wonder why Roblox supports tinting instead of changing hue, saturation, and value.
Sometimes, when tinting a slightly saturated color with a highly saturated one that’s far from the original hue, the color becomes very dark.
(because tinting is multiplying, if the original color lacks a certain component and the tint has only that component, it becomes black, e.g. TEAL (0,1,.5) * RED (1, 0, 0) = BLACK (0,0,0))

so we can’t change blue hair to red hair (you might say the base color should be white, but tinting a gradient color with many hues is still weird)

Why does Roblox only support tinting for decals, lighting, surface appearance and so on?
Tinting surface appearance is something many people have wanted, which is good, but why only tinting?

Can anyone explain?
:frowning:

5 Likes

This is long overdue, I’m glad it’s finally here!

3 Likes

alright, all that’s left is emission maps. Pls add emission maps.

9 Likes