Active Ragdoll - Example and Testplace (Pls Submit Feedback)

Hello, I recently came across a game on Steam called Drunken Wrestlers 2 (I’m not sure if I am allowed to link to the Steam page). It is a cool little game with active ragdoll as the core feature. It really caught my attention and made me want to create a game with active ragdoll as the core mechanic in Roblox. I figured a game like Human Fall Flat or maybe Gang Beasts would be pretty fun to play in Roblox, so I got to work.

I never finished the game, mostly because I am currently working on another game that I would like to finish before I make a second game. So, unfortunately, I left this game in a prototype state.

I created a quick symmetrical test character. I used this chess texture (it was for some reason in my file system) to make the front different from the back.

Here is the character walking:
Walking.wmv (1.4 MB)

It may be hard to see, but the head and torso are kind of “lagging behind” the hip, which makes it feel very smooth to control.
"

The character is able to bump into objects:

Bumping.wmv (2.1 MB)
The force of the ragdoll is set to very low in the video. This gives the hip much more power, which results in the torso being pushed very easily, and not much resistance to walking. We can give the ragdoll more power, which gives the player more resistance when walking:
Bumping-MoreResistans.wmv (2.7 MB)
"

I have also implemented actions, such as slapping using “q” and “e”:
Slaping.wmv (1.9 MB)

We can also slap against walls:
Slaping-Wall.wmv (3.6 MB)

"

And of corse I had to make a ragdoll button (“R”):
Ragdoll.wmv (1.9 MB)
"

This is all being replicated, so every client sees the same thing. This was actually much easier to do than I thought.

It is very easy to add actions/animations. I wanted to add a headbutt, but I forgot. I might come back sometime in the future, but for now, I will leave it and instead work on my other game.

Here is a link to a test world: (“R” > toggle Ragdoll, “Q” and “E” > punch)

Please let me know what you think of the system.
Have a great day!

1 Like

I have been doing something very similar lately. I was focused really more on the Physical locomotion rather than physical punches.

Do you mind letting me know what constraints you used?

I’m using simple BallSocketConstraint for the attachments. Then I use the align orientation object, that is targeting the rotation of the corresponding joint on another invisible rig that is playing the animtion. However you need to use the oneAttachment mode and then calculating the targeting CFrame, becuase using the two attachment mode will not make it rotate locally.

1 Like

I see. I have been using AlignPosition for mine and then used AlignOrientation for the rotation but set to two attachment mode instead. I create the animations by moving the attachments around.

I think with your approach you could even use the BallSockets as a limit as it is something you can’t do with mine.

I think yours is very cool!

I would say if you could get more limbs it’s be perfect. Add weapons or more animations. I feel like it would go well if it were a stuffed toy ragdol that fights.

Anyways, here is mine. It’s very rigid atm because I am trying to find the best balance between control of the character and the reaction to the environment. Active Ragdoll - RTHRO

Very cool. I love Battle talent, and you are defently on the right track. The leg movment and all is nice. Mine uses a targeting animation rig so ading animations is not a problem. Il try to put it on a r15 or rethro rig. Just to se if it holds. But I dont think i’m doing any leg tracking. But nice job