Add 'must post an error message (If you have)' as a requirement to post to Scripting Support

As a Roblox developer, it is currently too hard to help #help-and-feedback:scripting-support posts.

The scripting support posting rule only says What is the issue?, So users post as Not working.

Example:

I made part rotation system but its not working
code:

In such cases, it is more difficult to resolve because developers do not know whether the error has occurred or not.

Current template:

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:

1. What do you want to achieve? Keep it simple and clear!

2. What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!

3. What solutions have you tried so far? Did you look for solutions on the Developer Hub?

So, changing What is the issue? Include screenshots / videos if possible!
to What is the issue? You must post error message if you have. Include screenshots / videos if possible!
will fix this problem.

6 Likes

100% support. Some people get frustrated at the help they get or wonder why no one replied. It’s simple - saying something “doesn’t work” will not encourage, nor engage others to respond to your topic, therefore pausing and delaying your development. Sometimes I even see code with obvious mistakes which are even underlined red in the editor and people still don’t check the output. If they did, their issue would’ve been solved much faster. A template stating this would be a double win: people who want to help know how, and people who need help will get to it quicker.

1 Like

Well it is our fault to say “doesn’t work” in the first place. Not to say that it’s a bad idea, but that deals with human psychology more than the dev forum itself. Of course we can always just say:
What do you mean by “doesn’t work”, relate the error plz
Though still, that little feature is useful because it is a pain to ask for info.

If the template says You must post error message if you have., I think 90% of people will enter the error message.

2 Likes

The problem here is human psychology for sure, but there is also a lack of instructions on what you’re actually supposed to include in a #help-and-feedback (especially #help-and-feedback:scripting-support) topic. You’ve probably noticed that a lot of people are either new, don’t read “About [category]” topics, or the combination of the two. If this information, or at least a part of it is supplied to them before actually creating the post, however, will significantly improve this. Members of the forum aren’t professional writers, and many would still consider themselves players rather than developers a year or less ago (myself included). They may not know that information like this is crucial in this case, and the more exposed they are to this information, the more likely they are to follow it.

1 Like

People fail to follow the most basic guidelines. When I help people in scripting support I tend to find another topic if their post is like this:

• Not stating what they want to achieve
  • Not stating their error (if there is)
  • Long, whole scripts (100+ lines)
  • Screenshotted scripts (long and short)
  • One-sentence topics, asking for scripts

etc. I just hope category guidelines in all topics can be enforced more because it’s becoming an issue of misusing or failing to follow them.

1 Like

I see you made a feature request surrounding this, and I have to agree. I still think adding “must include error messages” into the guidelines would help tremendously but some people fail to follow them, exactly as you said. The best thing that should be done in my opinion is a prompt which pops up when you click the post button, that reviews the most important and most commonly broken guidelines, and an occasional reminder that appears as you type. They could even have stricter punishments for broken guidelines, but that could become annoying and discouraging.