Add Pin Lock to "Configure Group"

Add Pin Lock to “Configure Group”.

As reference for those who don’t have pin lock, its a 4 digit code found in your settings as an additional form of security.

As a group owner I decided as of recently to hold my groups under a single alt account seeming as I want to belong to specific groups: when I am simply just doing the development for my group community I don’t personally want to have to be in the side groups that I don’t affiliate with.

As such I like to transfer all my groups to a single account, here is one of them for example SystemHolder which holds two of my projects (instead of my main profile being a mess). To transfer groups previously it was simply type name, done - however with the improved security you have to have your pin unlocked if you want to do it which is great in preventing someone who shouldn’t have access to the account from stealing the group. But, its terrible when I’m creating an entire faction and want to quickly transfer it to my alternate account or even a friend, and then you see this message:

You then have to go to your settings page, wait for it to load, unlock your account etc.

I will also be candor and admit that my internet isn’t always 100% perfect, myself living in a town the internet can either be perfect or horrendous - as such having to load my settings page can leave me simply spinning in my chair waiting for another web page to load in (although extremely rare it is quite boring).

Once I’ve finally unlocked it, I click back to my group and finally get to transfer it. :wind_face: whoosh, effort.

If Roblox is able to add this feature, it would make it more ergonomic and would simply mean I can unlock my pin there and then instead of loading an entirely new web page, just so I can stay on it for around 10 seconds and then click off. It would also speed up the process a little more with no effect on my account security, even if someone did break into it (probably through my own stupidity if it does happen) they’d still have to face the pin.

You could also then bind the pin to more actions such as:

• Changing the group logo or the description, hackers may just ruin the look of your group.
  • Adding / removing ranks - this is a way you could lose robux.
  • Changing rank names.

What I think might also be quite cool for the Pin lock feature on groups is a form of temporary consent to that group specifically - if you unlock the Pin on that group it doesn’t unlock it for every other group or your account settings.

Let me know what you lot think or just reply with any improvements. I will be quite clear this feature is not necessary its just a way of possibly improving the website a bit.

13 Likes

+1 on this, I feel like this would even prevent exploiters who use key logs to get onto people’s accounts from steal group fund or even switching ownership.

a simple 4 digit password check to see if they’re “sure they want to go through with the change” could be a life saver. However, there are cons to this.

One people that if a 4 digit pin is forgotten, how simply can one retrieve it?
Would it be a one time thing? or each time you do a payout/owner transfer would you need to do it?

overall, I think it’s a nice idea to have some group protection after groups have been quite neglected over the past updates.

2 Likes

Well as far as I’m aware Roblox is capable of recognizing new sign-in locations so this is obviously a way of retrieving lost pin codes.

But then it would probably be like any other account detail, if you forget it you can request it on your email address. I’m not sure if it is a thing, but an email address and maybe even a secondary authentication should probably become a default to create a group.

In regards to the “one time thing” it would just be like the accounts page, unlocks it for a temporary amount of time. In terms of being realistic, we don’t spend more then 5-10 minutes on our group pages unless we’re changing descriptions so it would be ample time for most operations.

I have never understood why Roblox hasn’t considered external authentication such as Google Authentication (might be another feature request from myself), would a constantly changing 6 digit password not be more secure than a single 4 digit password. Although it has been spoken of briefly, a more in depth feature request could probably be made.

1 Like