Add Support for FMOD Studio in Roblox Studio

As a Roblox developer, it is currently challenging to create and manipulate complex and interactive audio experiences within the Roblox platform. The current audio tools in Roblox Studio are limited in their capabilities, and developers have to rely on workarounds and third-party tools to achieve more advanced audio functionality.

If Roblox adds support for FMOD, it would significantly improve the audio capabilities of the platform and enable developers to create more dynamic and immersive audio experiences. FMOD provides a pipeline to create scriptable audio assets that can be layered with different effects as the RPM increases, for example. This would allow developers to create custom audio behaviors and effects that would synchronize perfectly with their games’ mechanics, enhancing the overall gameplay experience for players.

FMOD also provides a range of advanced features that are not currently available in Roblox, such as real-time mixing, advanced parameter automation, and adaptive music systems. These features would enable developers to create more complex and dynamic soundscapes and music tracks that would enhance the immersion and atmosphere of their games.

Adding support for FMOD would also benefit the Roblox community as a whole by expanding the creative possibilities for developers and encouraging the creation of more polished and engaging games. FMOD is already widely used in the gaming industry and has a large community of users and resources, which would make it easier for developers to learn and integrate the tool into their workflows.

Integrating FMOD Studio directly with Roblox, similar to the Unity integration, would offer several benefits for game developers, including:

1. More advanced audio control: With direct integration of FMOD Studio, game developers would have greater access to the advanced audio features of FMOD Studio, including more control over sound design, real-time mixing, and parameter automation. This would allow developers to create more immersive and engaging soundscapes in their games.
  2. Streamlined workflow: Integrating FMOD Studio directly with Roblox would enable a more streamlined workflow for audio production. Developers could create and edit their audio assets in FMOD Studio and then easily import them into their Roblox game projects, without having to use a separate tool or export and import files manually.
  3. Better performance: FMOD Studio is designed to optimize audio processing for the target platform. With direct integration with Roblox, developers could take advantage of FMOD’s optimization features to ensure that their game’s audio runs smoothly and efficiently.
  4. Easier collaboration: FMOD Studio offers collaboration features that allow multiple team members to work on a project simultaneously. Direct integration with Roblox would make it easier for teams to collaborate on audio production and implementation, leading to more efficient development and better results.

Overall, a direct integration between FMOD Studio and Roblox would provide game developers with more advanced audio control, a streamlined workflow, better performance, and easier collaboration, leading to more engaging and immersive games.

Therefore, I believe that adding support for FMOD in Roblox would be a great feature that would significantly improve the audio capabilities of the platform and enable developers to create more immersive and engaging games.

If Roblox is able to address your issue, how would it improve your game and/or your development experience? Please complete this sentence as specifically as possible:

If Roblox is able to add support for FMOD, it would greatly improve my game and development experience by enabling me to create more dynamic and immersive audio experiences that perfectly synchronize with the game mechanics. I would be able to create custom audio behaviors and effects that adapt to the gameplay, enhancing the overall atmosphere and engagement of the game. This would allow me to create more polished and professional games that stand out in the Roblox community, and would also make the development process more enjoyable and efficient, as I would have access to a range of advanced audio features and tools.

21 Likes

I do like the sound of this a lot, but I feel that I must point out people have already found multiple ways to efficiently replicate FMOD behaviour with scripts (eg having all the different engine sounds playing at once and fading them in/out depending on RPM) so it’s not exactly an urgent need.

3 Likes

My dude, Roblox is already currently using FMOD as its audio engine. You should make feature requests for what you specifically want to control in terms of audio that go into more detail about what features you need and why (see category guidelines). “Add support for FMOD” is not a feature request.

4 Likes

To picture what PeZsmistic is referring to:
the “About Roblox Studio” window, via the ‘FILE’ button.

2 Likes

Hi,

I want to clarify that I was already aware that Roblox uses FMOD as its audio engine. My request was actually for greater access to FMOD’s capabilities within the Roblox platform, specifically the ability to use Fmod Studio with all of its features.

I’ll take a look at the category guidelines and make a more detailed feature request that outlines the specific features I need and why they would be beneficial for my game development.

However, I’d like to ask that you avoid using a such a unnecessary confrontational tone in the future. While I understand that my initial request may have been unclear, I think that respectful communication is crucial for fostering a positive and productive community.

11 Likes

i thought they were using SDL??

The reply below that shows a screenshot from inside Studio in the “About Studio” menu, showing a copyright notice for “FMOD Studio” by “Firelight Technologies”, but Roblox also uses SDL, for graphics and user input related stuff (looking online, it looks like audio isn’t a primary feature for SDL).

1 Like