Advanced Encryption Standard in Luau

Not for security
for torturing exploit developers

1 Like

Encrypting data that goes into server / client would confuse the frick out of most devs and ward off a bunch of them

1 Like

Not always true, you cant get much info off the player so exploit devs just find it as a game so decrypt it

1 Like

Sending encrypted stuff doesnt do anything, the player already knows its not sensitive information so why not mess around with it a bit?

Theyll experiment and of course if they get banned they can just make a new account anyway and repeat the process like nothing happened. Once he figures it out you obviously could change a few things but whats the fun in that when theyll just find out the new code in a few days thus resulting in a back and fourth game between the game developer and the exploiter.

you are forgetting the fact that not every exploiter is amazing at coding most would be confused

this onto itself will ward of a lot of exploiter

2 Likes

Update

This is an update of the asset. Please change to latest version: if using require(id), no action is required; if using the asset make the corresponding changes.

Changes

• Solved a bug when converting string to bytes.
    Changed code:
local function convertType	(a) -- LINE 202
	--[[local t = type(a)]]
	if type(a)--[[t]] == "string" then
		local r = {}

for i = 1, string.len(a), 7997 do
			table.move(--[[t = ]]{string.byte(a, i--[[ * 7997 - 7996]], i --[[* 7997]]+ 7996)}, 1, 7997, i, r)
			--[[for j = 1, #t do
				table.insert(r, t[j])
			end]]
		end
		return r
	elseif type(a)--[[t]] == "table" then
		for _, i in ipairs(a) do
			assert(type(i) == "number" and math.floor(i) == i and 0 <= i and i < 256,
				"Unable to cast value to bytes")
		end
		return a
	else
		error("Unable to cast value to bytes")
	end
end

Please comment if you find any bugs or improvements.

Hey, I’ve been waiting for something like this and this looks pretty good.

Did you forget to include a decrypt_CTR and decrypt_OFB method, as these are both totally missing from your module and cause the sample code to error stating that the decrypt CTR function doesn’t exist.

If you look at the Information block you will see that some of the encryption modes are Parallelizable which I’m assuming means that the encrypt function can also decrypt the input too.

Sorry for bumping. But this seems like a very good resource! However where’s decrypt_CTR? Because I have to use CFB as an alternative.

It is merged with encrypt_CTR function. It’s the same algorithm for both encrypting and decrypting.

I heard CTR encryption was more secure so how would I decrypt CTR encryption as it is an nil value. (Nevermind if you guys have the same problem as me just make decrypt_CTR in the example code encrypt_CTR hope this helps you out.)

I had literally the same thought just now.

This resource needs to be known more. Not gonna lie.

Really useful.

not really, they can just use whatever you’re using to decrypt it or just make a decrypter themselves by reading your encryptor script

Seems that link is invalid. Here’s a working link to Parallel Luau.

Additionally, the main difference between coroutines/tasks vs Parallel Luau is that the lua thread created using coroutines/tasks has to wait-in-line for the thread scheduled before it to yield or die; meanwhile, this is all happening on the same OS-thread. Parallel Luau utilizes >1 OS-threads, which balances the load more evenly.
See: Parallel Luau | Roblox Creator Documentation

1 Like

I’m going to write a wrapper function for this (with authentication and key derivation handled automatically) and see how it goes.

Upcoming update

Well, I quitted the forum… a little bit but I’m back.
So excited to announce that this resource has been rewritten from scratch and the library will suffer a lot of changes:

• bytes type will be superseded by buffers which are better for its easy management and performance.
  • AES library will now contain constructors for a new data type: AesCipher which performs better at encrypting and/or decrypting a lot of small and large files and doesn’t run key expansion every time it is needed.
  • LUTs will be optimized for more direct calculations and also giving some resistance to side-channel attacks.
  • Block cipher modes of operation now will have their own space at Aes.modes and each of them no longer impact performance. Custom modes can be added as well.

At performance, this library improved the code a lot so it can now process large ammounts of data in a quite short time. Luau Native Code support and Parallel Scripting can be easily ported so it can get even faster than ever! Thus, making this the fastest and most suitable AES library for Roblox.
Some quick tests (ECB mode):

Plaintext size Encryption av. time Decryption av. time
16 bytes 0.000037 0.000043
32 bytes 0.000054 0.000059
80 bytes 0.000095 0.000115
1600 bytes (1.6 KB) 0.000981 0.001284
3200 bytes 0.002089 0.001939
160000 bytes (160 KB) 0.100983 0.103678
1000000 bytes (1 MB) 0.586153 0.641533
5000000 bytes (5 MB) 2.964735 2.918804
10000000 bytes (10 MB) 5.991347 5.897557
Some MicroProfiler test

It’s soooo ridiculous fast that I can’t profile it really well. Help

This update will be released when buffers are oficially added to Roblox. Meanwhile I would love to hear some feedback from you. Stay tuned!

3 Likes

Really excited to see this come out!

3 Likes

Do you think you could do test-release for the newer version (if it is complete) so we can give some feedback?

1 Like

I can send you the preview version via DM.

1 Like