Aerodynamics [Studio Beta] November 2023 Update

Would I be able to have individual parts, lighter than other parts through Density?

4 Likes

So how does the new Aerodynamic options interact with water?
I’m curious since there’s not really any aquadynamics. Would there be any clashing between the two?

For instance, will a blimp still operate like a blimp underwater as if it was not in the water to begin with?

7 Likes

this just broke my games cars, what r u doing man

9 Likes

I have the same issue, we are working rn to turn off this system

6 Likes

There’s no way to see the EnableFluidForces property in base parts so you can use this to turn it off, thing is, it doesn’t even change anything in terms of how the parts are being affected by these new physics, they have broken a lot of physics based systems

for i, v in pairs(game:GetDescendants()) do
	if v:IsA("BasePart") then
		v.EnableFluidForces = false
	end 
end
5 Likes

Hello everyone, very sorry about this issue, we are working to resolve it now. This issue is actually related to the new lower bound on the part density.

One way to fix this issue is to make sure that all your part densities are at least 0.01 (the previous lower bound).

9 Likes

I am having the same exact issue, The physics for our cars are entirely broken. The wheels are bobbing very weirdly and the car slides around too. It is to the point where you can barely drive the cars anymore. Again nothing has changed on our side.

Out of curiosity what chassis are you using and what version?

4 Likes

We have applied a fix for the issue cars have been experiencing, we are no longer seeing the issue. However, please let us know if you are still experiencing these problems and we will fix it!

Thanks everyone for reporting the issue and looking into this feature!

8 Likes

Anyone using A-Chassis I found the solution with the staffs pointer.
Go into the initialize script and change all the:

PhysicalProperties.new(

to

PhysicalProperties.new(

then go to A-Chassis Tune script and change CustomSuspensionDensity to 0.01

After this it will work like before

6 Likes

I can confirm, that after restarting studio, everything is fixed on my end. Thank you for the quick bug-fix update. We appreciate the fast response times.

5 Likes

Thanks to everyone here for finding and reporting the issues related to lowering the PhysicalProperties.Density limit.

We have reverted the change that reduced the lower limit of PhysicalProperties.Density to 0.0001 for now since some scripts were depending on the lower limit always clamping to 0.01. For now, the lower limit for part density is back to 0.01 until we can address the issues with a longer term fix.

If you have any existing scripts that are setting PhysicalProperties.Density = 0 and assuming the clamp will take care of the min density, please take this chance to update your scripts so it sets PhysicalProperties.Density = 0.01 so you get the exact same behavior.

In the meantime, you can still try out scenarios like hot-air balloons or helium balloons by increasing the Workspace.AirDensity property so it is higher than your part’s density.

11 Likes

Thanks for the swift fix, really appreciated!

4 Likes

FYI, I believe that size limit can be manually bypassed by entering an input greater than 10 into the Size parameter. There’s no NumberSequence support iirc, but the particle will get larger unless this was recently changed

6 Likes

Pretty cool.
cant expect myself to use this but still cool.

5 Likes

That’s exactly what I was wanting them to remove. Get rid of the size limit with NumberSequence since its too limiting on larger effects.

7 Likes

I sent a friend who plays a lot of flight sim games that last gif and their response was “someone should tell him that’d rip the wings off”

As for my own opinion on this feature, it’s another in the “looks cool but probably isn’t for me” field, unfortunately. It does look really cool, but I personally prefer simpler arcade-y physics.

edit: grammar

7 Likes

This will open up so many doors toward future simulator projects. I can’t wait!

3 Likes

I’ve never used aerodynamics before, but this has piqued my interest in exploring the API and seeing what I can come up with.

Also, I’m still waiting for fluid simulation, which I believe will be one of the best Roblox features because it would make an already terrifying genre more configurable. :+1:

3 Likes

All links in this announcement should be fixed now!

5 Likes

Would be great if there was a property BasePart.EnableFluidBounds where any other parts that intersect with it would use its density rather than workspace.AirDensity to calculate lift. Would allow for areas in game that generate different amounts of lift, eg water for lakes

4 Likes