Algorithm is extremely unstable right now

Experienced a 30% drop from our expected player counts. Very similar to the bug that happened last week where we dropped a significant amount of players.

Despite many updates and trying everything, we are losing so many players that we’re now forced to let go off our developers and soon enter a state of development hibernation.

It’s affecting my position as a full time developer on the website I’ve dedicated 15 years to.

Read more at Introducing Today’s Picks - A New Curated Sort on Home [Pilot] - #170 by SharpSerious

1 Like

No large spike on our end, but as the changes went live on the 8th we lost over 30% of our players, and this has caused our update at the end of the week to be the worst performing update we’ve ever put out since our release in December.

The algorithm change that was made on friday started killing my game for quite literally no reason. I publish frequent updates and each time that is done, my stats become better. My game was a top performer in almost every aspect, and most importantly, monetization.

My game is currently ranked #215 on top earning sort, while having 950 CCUs

While games sorted by CCUs from Highest to Lowest, around rank #215, have around 2.4K - 2.7K ccus.

Source: Rolimons.com

I do understand there are different target audiences and such, but previously my game had 2K - 3K player count for months, and was earning lots of money for the Roblox Corporation and Myself without a problem.

How does it make sense for algorithm to just throw away it’s top earning games like that?

2 Likes

Roblox need to fix this fast ! I’ve launched a game this week with some friends, ads are doing nothing !

1 Like

For years and years, for small experiences, the same games have been in this little tab, including Plane Crazy. I saw you reply and took a look, and plane crazy is not there anymore, so that is my guess

Here I talk about it:

Whatever roblox did needs to be reverted because games shouldn’t be punished like this by this bug, a lot of games have been growing steadily for months → years and all of a sudden they are dropping CCU like flies for no reason. It’s completely unnatural decreases in playercounts and developers can’t do anything about it until the issue is fixed.

5 Likes

We saw an increase in CCU (doubling), and still remains much higher than usual.
I think the algorithm is being changed to favor smaller experiences. I’ve been seeing lots of small experiences on my home page feed.

Before only the big (boring) games were being recommended at all times.

I think this is a good change.

Also happened to me… but I can see why it happened to me though, the retention metrics literally halved, some even went down 4x. It used to average 500-750 CCUs and now rarely gets over 50 CCUs, averaging 20 CCUs. It’s really frustrating but I understand why it’s failing right now, I just don’t get why the retention would be so high before and now being at such a low point.

Avg. playtime also dropped with my retention drop.

Roblox was doing some A/B testing with different Home Page layouts. One of which pushed Continue and Friends Playing down 4 rows which might explain your drop in Retention. Many others are experiencing similar effects and I hope Roblox reverts this change as Continue Playing should always be at the top in my opinion.

Example:

Source: @mPhase

2 Likes

Same issue happening for War Tycoon.

5 Likes

Noticing this issue with some of my games as well

Same thing happening to my game, by far the worst I’ve seen it.

GAME: 👶 Baby Simulator - Roblox

I and everyone I have spoken to about this agree. Continue needs to remain at the top.

1 Like

Noticed this, I’m guessing it has something to do with the new tiles.

It would be nice if the algorithm didn’t change every other month. It’s seriously annoying.

2 Likes

From what myself and many others have noticed, the algorithm is trying to give more presence to smaller and new games. I respect this idea, but apparently the execution was terrible. Many games I’m a part of are seeing wild algo fluctuations, experiencing as much as -30% in total impressions, as well as some record lows in CCU. This change needs to be reverted, or ironed out so larger games aren’t punished.

8 Likes

I’ve seen a drastic decrease in players in a game I’m managing, not even a top 500 game on this platform, not even top 2000 in monetization, and would not be considered a “big” game as of that time. We were on the upwards trajectory until they changed the home page on April 8. But this was more surprising to see on the recommended page.

This is a game that has not been updated in over five years. The group behind this game is locked. No developer is making any profit from this. And yet the algorithm is pushing it when it should have been thrown out ages ago.

When you join the game you see F2P kids that are in the game for one minute before leaving. It looks like it was put together in one day and released. The rafts in the waterslide are half broken and it is getting many dislikes since last week. Definitely should be reverted at this point, games like this should not be the future of Roblox.

4 Likes

Responding to second this, my retention’s absolutely tanked since these changes went into effect. All week I’d assumed the issue was a result of a shop glitch that went overlooked for a couple weeks, but after seeing so many other people complaining about the same thing I’m not convinced my struggles are my fault anymore.

2 Likes

That just looks like the typical Monday nosedive, which all games experience to be honest

I wouldn’t have said anything if it were typical. I check my stats religiously, a nosedive to this low is far from typical. The game usually only hits sub-1k like this latee, like in the AMs, now it’s hitting it mid-day.

5 Likes