Allow developers to change from Studs to real units for measurement

As a Roblox developer, it is currently impossible to change measurement units from Studs to meters, or any other real unit.
This is most inconvenient for a few key things, such as:

• Importing models incl. position and size;
    (Right now you must re-size everything in Studio in most occasions)
  • Environmental measurement;
    (I’ve been asked: ‘how large is this map?’ and then I must answer in Studs if we’re looking at the in-game environment or I have to answer with real units while looking at the 2D map but I can’t convert them into Studs, which is rather confusing!)

Example issue:
Imagine modelling a house using meters as measurement. After you finished, you import it into Roblox.
But then it appears to be too big in Studio. So you re-scale the house, but the stairs at the front is now too small and the player doesn’t fit through the door anymore.

This change should affect the whole studio GUI (incl. properties panel, models page, tools, grids in the viewport, etc.).
It should only visually change for it is meant to show more precise scales and placement.

If Roblox addresses this issue, it would greatly improve the efficiency and precision of models made outside Roblox and measurement in general. It’d also save a lot of unnecessary time trying to properly scale thing.

17 Likes

Could this help you in the short term?

6 Likes

I’ll definitely give that a try!

Edit: however, is this 100% accurate?

@SteadyOn will probably be able to answer that for you.

2 Likes

Stud calculator uses stud measurements as given by the relationship between gravity in Roblox and studs, it’s based off some physics equation taken from the real world. This was pointed out to me as a possible weakness, and from what I recall stud calculator has an option to adjust the multiplication factor from studs to real world measurements.

3 Likes

Alright! :slight_smile:
Thanks for the information.

PS: Happy anniversary :wink:

1 Like