Allow members with a trust level of "Regular"+ to set banner/profile-card background pictures

For the card-background or banner-background, yeah!
As noted, this feature addition would not let us change our actual profile pictures, they would remain as our avatars.

3 Likes

Support, it would be like a banner on your portfolio, only everywhere-

2 Likes

Could you explain your use case for this? The only one seems to be personalization however I do not believe this is strong enough to justify the addition of this feature, and this would allow for potentially inappropriate images.

Btw you can already add images to your bio

It may not show on your user card but you go on someone’s profile to know more about them, not their user card only.

2 Likes

Roblox already uses moderation for every image uploaded, so they could implement that-
For example, in custom altitude and color maps for terrain.
And see Reshiram’s post below :arrow_down:

3 Likes

That is more work on moderation though for such a niche use case (further customization). It is already possible to share your work.

1 Like

The only use case is personalization. It’s a feature built into discourse, enabling it would take minimal effort.

That’s why I suggested locking the feature to Regular+. Flagged posts are usually dealt with pretty quickly here, I would assume a flagged profile would be dealt with just the same.

That is not the same thing as the feature I am requesting.

3 Likes

Note that trust level names have changed. What was once “New Member” is now “Member”, and “Member” is now “Regular”. Your title says “Member+”, but I think you meant Regular. This has been fixed

I know it is not, but images are able to be embedded into your bio already.

1 Like

Embedded bio images do not show up in the same way that he is suggesting-
And, they pop up when you click a user anywhere, you don’t have to visit their profile.

2 Likes

Unless you’re part of the team that maintains order on this forum, I don’t think you can claim what would or would not be a lot more work for them.

4 Likes

Did you read this part yet? I clearly understand it is not the same. I am just saying you can already get close

Going from “it would potentially allow…” and then saying “but you can already (sorta) do this” seems to be counter to your own point. If we can already do this, then can you confidently say it will be a problem? Why can we already use images in our profile if this would be a moderation issue?

Plus, locking it to Regular seems like a good filter anyhow.

4 Likes

I am just saying it is not really necessary. You can already show your work on #help-and-feedback:cool-creations, social media, etc. so adding this imo is just not needed

That is just my opinion though

It would be really cool and useful. It’s aesthetic, cosmetic, and could be a way to personalize your account further. Social media requires an extra click and is not see-able on the forum, directly. Same thing with cool creations, you can’t see what you post there directly in your biography.

2 Likes

I disagree. Being able to show off a render of your current project or somesuch could strengthen your portfolio.

Yes, we do have these things - but there is nothing wrong with an addition here. It would only benefit the forum.

4 Likes

That sound like a good idea. Although idk about moderation since images on the DevForum are not.

As stated previously, they are. We can already embed images in our profile descriptions.
If someone has an inappropriate profile they would be caught and taken care of by forum staff.

1 Like

I support this feature request.
I already have tons of projects in my mind as a candidate for being my profile decoration(and show off, of course), and it will certainly look awesome :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible with Discourse to lock this per trust level??

I really like this concept and would love to see it implemented to the devforum.

You got my support, would love to see this feature added. Would add a nice feel to profiles. :+1: