Allow others to make/edit tutorials posted on the Developer Hub

When I was learning how to script and make games on ROBLOX, it was sort of frustrating how few quality tutorials. When taking a look at the tutorials on the Developer Hub, it’s less of a strict path and more of a sprinkle of information all over the place, so you have to pick up the pieces and find the information you’re looking for yourself. The way I’d describe it is spicy documentation. Good if you have a question like, “How do tables work?” and not more broad questions like “How do I make games?”

Taking a look at a different engine, Godot, shows how tutorials can be done better. Taking a look at the left and clicking on “Step by Step” shows you a tutorial that works from the very basics and up. Describing the whole core of how to make Godot games. If you click on one of the links and view the top-right and clicking on the GitHub link, you see that Godot’s tutorials aren’t made by one guy, but the community, banding together to make good, free, and up-to-date tutorials on working with their favorite engine.

I don’t see why the Developer Hub couldn’t be the same way. If you look at #resources:community-tutorials, the Roblox community makes amazing tutorials about stuff, and because it’s a moderated GitHub page, nobody can cause havoc over it. We could have more tutorials that look like this, and not this.

5 Likes

Community-written content is a request we’ve gotten a lot since the developer hub’s inception. Roblox is committed to producing the best information for developers, and we love that the community also wants to share their insight. However, the devforum is a more appropriate place for this as it gives plenty more tools for publishing such content. Devhub is “by Roblox”, devforum is “by the community”.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.