Analytics: Optimize low-end Android crash rates, server memory and CPU performance

Is it really worth it though? Optimization is great and everyone should consider low-end devices for sure (especially Android devices), however, optimizing an experience for an Android device that has <2GB RAM? Eh… doesn’t sound too beneficial IMO.

My options will be minimal even with streaming enabled if I want to add more features to my experience, sure, some experiences are generally small and may run well even on Android devices with <2GB RAM, but considering the general amount of players who play on these devices, will my experience even face a significant player count increase if I do support them?

5 Likes

I think Roblox is losing new Players unintentionally, but there is a Fix.

A large majority of phones out there are a low end devices, which are hand-me-downs from parents upgrading their hand sets, and given to their kids.
So instead of only assisting Devs on how to cater for low end devices… it would be helpful to direct new players to experiences that DO cater for their phones/tablets.

Just like you would search for experiences of different types, they should also be able to search via low end devices that would work on their devices.

Not all Devs are going to go back and optimize their games for low end devices, but as you said, there are plenty of games that are available (though can’t publicly name them), but they should be searchable.

ADD some description to all games (min requirement?), that inform the lowest possible memory per experience, or some other way help the newer or poorer customers pick games that help them know what is available for them to play - instead of just deserting the Roblox platform forever.

I believe you will increase your player base even more with such an “add-on”.
And maybe it will also entice DEV’s to cater for them as well, as they could be a large group of players.

2 Likes

Why not apple devices?

Those generally have lower memory than android.

1 Like

I would disagree with that. From experience… iPhone has a longer usable life than Androids.
If that was the case, I wouldn’t be sitting with an iPhone right now - annoying entrapment.

1 Like

This one will run on 1.5GB of RAM, it normally needs 5GB to run. :wink: It’s more about game design and building in memory and speed monitoring that take low end devices into account more than trying to force a big game on a device that it can never really work on at full RAM usage.

2 Likes

:blush: Cool stuff. I feel amazed about the new updates, especially to this one too. But i kinda worry about the other side of Roblox, yes I’m talking about the experiences and 3D Items on Roblox. I kinda worry about the Roblox might completely banned soon for many and many country, just like what happen on Turkey banned Roblox it might happen on other as well. Despite of having such a beautiful updates on Roblox maybe it might ended up to be completely banned. Hope Roblox implement such a great moderation to our beloved platform, Roblox! :white_heart:

1 Like

I also have an idea, what if train the AI about 3D items on Roblox to detect the shapes of the meshes if it is kinda look like a B***y shape then pass that to actual human then moderate it. Sounds simple but I think that’s possible…

1 Like

They seem to crash more on our game. Note that I don’t have solid data to back this up, it’s just going from user reports.

Either way I think adding apple devices would be great. Not everyone uses android.

2 Likes

Every iOS device since the iPhone 8 (2017) has had more than 2GB of RAM. In my experience from doing native development, iOS devices generally handles memory better than Android devices. It used to be that some devices like the original iPad Minis were really challenging to get to work well versus their contemporary Android devices, but this hasn’t been the case for some years.

I’m sure there’s a few people using iPhone 7 and older out there, especially in hand-me-down devices, but these are hard devices to use now as they haven’t had OS updates for some years so many apps will have dropped support for them. Roblox supports back to iOS 12, which means it supports the iPhone 5S - in theory. That device has just 1GB of RAM so likely doesn’t run much these days!

2 Likes

I have some graphical issues on roblox mobile when testing generally getting colored overlay over certain objects. Generally red, green, or more. Idk if it’s my device or the client itself.

You can use Filter By where Platform=Phone and OS=iOS to see iPhone specific analytics

1 Like

Hey focasds, compute efficiency is more about environmental footprint. Having an experience that uses fewer resources per hour of gameplay is good for the planet, but poor compute efficiency doesn’t necessarily mean that your experience is “unoptimized.” Maybe it’s just doing a lot compared to other experiences, or the type of experience you wanted to create necessitates fewer players per server. Compute efficiency is not directly indicative of a good or bad player experience.

I can’t answer everything here, but I’ll take a crack at the first few:

1. “Bad” is whatever negatively impacts the player experience, so in general, you want server heartbeat at a locked 60 and CPU time low enough that server heartbeat never drops due to it.

For example, an average server CPU time of 3 ms is “better” than 9 ms, but because the server is capped at 60 (16.67 ms per frame), players won’t feel any difference. But as your CPU time creeps up closer to 16.67, heartbeat can start to drop below 60, which is indeed bad.

2. If your game is spiky (e.g. some frames take 5 ms, others 12 ms) you might want a low average CPU time (e.g. 6 ms) to give yourself enough CPU headroom to keep heartbeat above 60 even during spikes. If your game is very consistent (e.g. frames almost always arrive between 10-11 ms), you can inch up closer to that 16.67 ceiling without worrying as much about dropped frames. We recommend staying below 3 GB of memory usage for the same reason. There’s a 6.4 GB cap, but hitting that cap during a spike in usage can crash the server.

3. If server heartbeat never/rarely drops below 60 and memory stays below 3 GB, you shouldn’t need to take immediate action. That said, improving performance might give you the headroom to add more systems to your experience, increase player counts, etc., so it’s never a bad time to optimize. It just depends on your priorities.

2 Likes

Thank you for the clarifications! I thought the percent of compute efficiency sitting at 40% was telling me that it was horribly unoptimized. However, seeing the CPU Time sitting at 3ms for average and 800MB for server, I was a bit worried. Though my server frame rate is 55 average.

Players in my game do experience lag because of Streaming Enabled I would assume, as ping goes terribly high, some servers are basically unplayable at some points. However, remotes are not spammed or anything, they trigger mainly with player’s input.

Changes in the game happens as well as long as players do things.

So I have been worrying a lot lately about performance and players not being able to PvP at times.

Thank you, for the reply once again.

I have acer game laptop i think im good

Try use the “Breakdown by” selector in the Client tab, it should allow you to see the comparison line when you select breakdown by none now. :grinning:

1 Like

Awesome! I did in fact notice this a few days ago actually :smiley:

My only complaint is that the setting resets every time the page is refreshed, so with that being said it’d be a nice QoL change to embed the “breakdown by” option within the URL!

1 Like