Animating a model/animatronic without humanoid?

I’m trying to make some kind of jumpscare animation for one of my animatronics in my FNaF remake. I’m wondering if it’s even possible since the model has no humanoid or any necessary parts.

I haven’t exactly tried yet, but it just seems very complicated. I tried using the animation editor on it but it wouldn’t let me since it isn’t considered a rig. So if I do use the Roblox-provided rig and make the jumpscare animation, will the animation even be able to carry over to the animatronic model?

This is the animatronic:

This is what the model consists of:

If you have any info or ideas/suggestions, please let me know.

7 Likes

One way of doing this would be making a root part, and then connecting Motor 6D’s from the root part to the other movable parts. After you have done this, insert an AnimationController into the model. Then you should be able to use the roblox animation editor on the model.

2 Likes

Interesting idea. I will test it out when I get a chance!

1 Like

I’m trying it out right now, but I have a few questions.

When you said root part, I’m assuming you meant HumanoidRootPart inside of the model, I added that but I’m not sure where to go from there. I don’t really know where to parent all the Motor6D’s or what exactly classifies as a movable part. I have tried ungrouping all the models and figuring something out but it just isn’t making much sense. I’ve also watched a couple tutorials and it has said some stuff about adding a Humanoid to the model as well as unanchoring it.

Any help?

So, put all the Motor6D’s into the HumanoidRootPart, and put the Part0 and the HumanoidRootPart and the Part1 as the movable part (any parts you want to move, for example: Arms, legs, eyes, head, neck, etc…). Parts that aren’t going to be animated can just be welded onto whatever they are supposed to stay to (for example, the hat or the bow tie)

Sorry for the late response!

1 Like

No worries about the late response! Thanks for the info, I’ll try it in a bit since I’m currently on my phone and eating.

I’ve been trying but I still can’t seem to figure it out. I added a couple Motor6D’s and started connecting them to parts, but there’s just way too many. It also sucks that I’m unable to make Part1 of the Motor6D a model since the Head, Torso, Arms, etc. aren’t just one part/mesh. I appreciate the your help but I think I’ll just have to scrap the jumpscare part of the game and replace it with something else.

No problem! Sorry that it didn’t work though. I’m sure it’ll all work out great.

1 Like

I was trying it out for a bit longer to see if I could find something and ended up finding a new way! Basically since it would take so many parts and be pretty unorganized, I’m basically making a mesh of each part of his arm! Essentially, I’ll make a mesh for his upper-arm (or any other part), import it, create a Motor6D, attach it and proceed to animate it.

I’ll inform you if it ends up working

1 Like

Ran into an issue that I don’t believe I can fix. Basically, when I make the HRP Part0 and the MeshPart (upper right arm) Part1, the part immediately teleports to the HRP. I’m not sure if there’s any way to fix this, if there is, please let me know. If not, it’s all good, I’m sure I’ll figure out a way to make something happen.

1 Like

Yes, there is a way to fix this.

This post has a plugin in it, which is really useful for making Motor6D’s.

Not everything in the post is related to this specific topic so, if you just want the plugin, here it is: Constraint Editor - Roblox

1 Like

That plugin was really helpful but it still seemed to not work. Thanks for all the help.

Edit: I’m going to try and make something work with TweenService as an alternative.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Tweenservice should do the trick aswell, lol.

1 Like

You could rig the model if you dont wanna use moon animator but riggigng the model would be best

You need to rig the character and then decide if you gonna use Humanoid(if you want to be able to play with it) or AnimationController(it will only play the animations).

Tutorial: https://youtu.be/8StIer18lpY?si=JTDiRR3G_Cep2URC