Animating a tool instead of the player?

I have wanted to make a tool that is animated when you click with it equipped, it could be a gun mag animation or anything else, I just need to animate the tool. I have basic rigging experience but I don’t know how I would rig a tool. I have looked at several different answers in the developer forum and tried them all, but none seemed to work. I might have gotten something wrong, but I have wanted to do this for a while and it would be great if someone could help. I already have a script to animate the character when they click with a tool, but I don’t know how to do it with the tool.

EDIT: this is not just about rigging, this is also about the script.As stated earlier in this text I have looked at scripts that people claim to work, but none work in my favor.

Moon Animator is quite helpful with this. I recommend looking into that plugin.

If you don’t want to learn the rigging and details and scripting on your own, it’s a great resource.

You can animate a tool using Motor6Ds.

Process (stick with me lol);

• Create a Folder under the Character Model
  • Put the tool CONTENTS under the Folder
  • Make Motor6Ds to weld everything to the Handle
  • Make a Motor6D to weld the the right or left Hand to the HANDLE
  • Open Animation editor and enjoy

To equip the tool you must do the above in a script!

My response is the exact same as @AdjacentPhoenix however I believe I can provide more detail, That being said if this works for you give the solution checkmark to him.

Found this when I was asking the same question. A good read and is exactly what you’re looking for.

Like I said, I have looked at answers and questions like that. and have tested them. None have worked in my favor.

Be more specific, what do you mean by it doesn’t work in your favor?

I have copied the exact scripts, and followed the instructions no matter what, though it wont work at all. I have actually tried the same script a few times but every try never works.

So what you essentially what is, when animating a model, to weld the tool to the models hands?

Well copy and pasting only goes so far.

I’ll help you out with the actual creating the Motors so you can animate them, you can use this for the tool as well

Run in CMD Bar

Replace;

• TOOLHERE with the ToolName in Workspace
  • HANDLEHERE with the name of the Handle
local Tool = workspace.TOOLHERE
Tool = Tool:Clone()

local Handle = Tool.HANDLEHERE

local Weld = function(Part0, Part1)
	local C0 = C0 or Part0.CFrame:toObjectSpace(CF(Part0.Position))
	local C1 = C1 or Part1.CFrame:toObjectSpace(CF(Part0.Position))

local WeldMotor = Instance.new("Motor6D")
	WeldMotor.Part0 = Part0
	WeldMotor.Part1 = Part1
	WeldMotor.C0 = C0
	WeldMotor.C1 = C1
	WeldMotor.Name = Part0.Name
	WeldMotor.Parent = Part0

return WeldMotor
end

local NewFolder = Instance.new("Folder")

for Index, Des in pairs(Tool:GetDescendants()) do
    if Des:IsA("BasePart") and Des ~= Handle then
        Weld(Handle, Des)
        Des.Anchored = false
        Des.CanCollide = false
    end
end

table.foreach(Tool:GetChildren, function(Index, Child)
    Child.Parent = NewFolder
end)

NewFolder.Name = Tool.Name
Tool:Destroy()

NewFolder.Parent = workspace

Once you run that, put the folder in the animation rig. Then create a Motor6D in the right or left hand and set Part0 to the hand and Part1 as the Handle of the Tool.

After you have correctly done the above, you can now animate every part of your tool!

I have no idea why, but for some reason I cannot use the command bar. I have enabled Command Bar and Output and no matter what I will do it will not appear. I will try and put it into a script though.