Animating a tool problem

Hello. I need help with this animation and tool. I have tried to search tutorials on this but no tutorial explains how I would apply an idle animation to a tool and have it also animate the handle

This is the animation and yes the Handle(the hammer) is animated to be positioned in the right hand but when I add an script to have an idle animation with the tool it only animates the character and not the Handle.

This is how the animation should look: https://gyazo.com/5a4676fe9f86c32e4426114890b8351a

This is the animation in game: https://gyazo.com/b5d16a9a6f4cae79485b96e425df5bfa

Is there a way I could add an idle animation that would also animate the handle?

9 Likes

You need to change the Grip properties of the Tool object. I suggest @Maximum_ADHD’s plugin (cc for link?)

Edit: or rotate the RightHand in the editor so it’s top is to the right (from players perspective), not up.

1 Like

No but there is an actual animation for the tool. and I could do that but I want to figure how to apply the animations to the actual handle so if I were to want to actually animate the tool it would work. Also what is the plugin by clonetrooper called?

1 Like

Basically you have to change the grip just like what @Fm_Trick mentioned. However, you’re supposed to change the tool’s weld into a Motor6D(which are literally the joints between body parts).

Here’s the plugin if you wonder:
https://www.roblox.com/library/174577307/Tool-Grip-Editor-Plugin

1 Like

Is this what you’re looking for? How to animate a tool/object with a Dummy in the Animation Editor

All welds in your tool must be a Motor6D if you want to be able to animate the tool itself and not only the character.

If you are looking to animate the Handle, you will need to convert RightGrip (the Weld created between the Handle and the Right Arm/RightHand to hold tools) into a Motor6D as well. RightGrips start as Welds which are rigid joints, while Motor6Ds allow for animations to utilise the Transform CFrame to move them around. In this regard, all joints in a character are Motor6D which is why animations work on them.

You can either handle Tool welding yourself or use the properties of the Roblox-created RightGrip to create your own, in terms of making RightGrip a Motor6D.

1 Like

I believe your issue lies with Roblox’s tool animation that causes the player’s arm to go straight up when you equip a normal tool.

The for sure way to fix this is a local script that stops the animation, however animation priority may also work. From memory, I remember finding that the Roblox tool animation takes priority over other animations, so a script that stops the animation seems to work better from my experience.

Here’s an example of a local script in StarterCharacterScripts that would stop the animation:

local character = script.Parent
local humanoid = character:WaitForChild("Humanoid")

function animationPlayed(anim)
    local name = anim.Name:lower() -- Get the name of the animation in all lowercase, helps with finding the name.
    if name == "toolnoneanim" or name:find("tool") then		-- "toolnoneanim" is the name of the tool equip animation, if Roblox happens to change the name it'll look for "tool" in the name.
	    anim:Stop()
    end
end

humanoid.AnimationPlayed:Connect(animationPlayed)

I’m pretty sure this will solve your problem. The grip doesn’t actually affect this situation as the animation already compensates for that.

GIF of what the script does for further reference:
e9090d0e2b1854d9dd820822bf782d71

Hope this helps!

8 Likes