Animating Your Avatar In VR

Good point, this current uses detected input in the control module to decide whether the camera should follow the character or the character should try to align with the VR camera. I’ll try playing around with saving root part position or distance limits.

11 Likes

this looks cool, finally roblox :smiley:

6 Likes

Really excited to try this out, but the client needs to be able to turn this off in settings (or, let us choose who can see our movement).

My biggest problem with Nexus VR is the fact that you can’t turn it off, and its widespread adoption causes me to avoid Roblox VR. It makes it incredibly obvious to everyone that you are playing in VR.

People will either stare at you like you’re an alien due to your strange animation, or, if they figure out that you’re in VR, they’ll try to harass you.

UPDATE: Apparently you can actually set VRService.AvatarGestures on the client to toggle this feature on your avatar whenever you want, as long as the property is true on the server. I didn’t think that would actually work. Can this be documented?

It would still be great to have it be a built-in option in the Roblox menu, because right now every VR-supported experience would have to create a custom settings menu to allow this.

9 Likes

Now someone should make job simulator on roblox

7 Likes

can someone gift me a headset so i can test this out and rate it

7 Likes

This is super cool but extremely limited. I’d even say it’s too limited and was not ready to be shipped to release.

Pros:

• Properly move your hands and head accordingly to be more expressive

Cons:

• Lots of accessories can block your vision; mainly neck accessories
  • You cannot bend down and have that be represented. Same goes with animations floating you up and your head being moved up with it despite your camera being in the same place
  • Animating Your Avatar In VR - #9 by TheNexusAvenger
  • Animations interrupt the arms and head and cause undesired results

I would enable this now, but I will be sticking to Nexus VR Character Model since this really doesn’t work well in its current state. I will not be enabling this until the issues are fixed and a lot of improvements are made

22 Likes

was the roblox forcing steam vr to open bug fixed

Can we finally have and leave our cables plugged in and have peace

Please be here, I plead

Along with, ability to change button binds for vr controller, the grips on the Index’s controllers are bound to changing gears, which is very annoying, as just touching the controller will cause it to swap :frowning:

7 Likes

a fix for that would be to hide the accessories and head by using Transparency and LocalTransparencyModifier (if i remember correctly) when the user is in first person.

9 Likes

That is true, but we shouldn’t have to do that ourselves for something native on Roblox. On top of that, the other problematic factors are way too major for me to consider this viable to use.

7 Likes

yeah, i get that actually. it’s pretty annoying for me too since i made my own vr module with replication and stuff like that and it hurts a bit because i could basically throw away what i worked on a pretty long time if this gets actually improved. (it’s still pretty painful to update all of my games when i make one slight change in any script due to how PackageLinks work.)

also for @TheNexusAvenger - i always got extremely confused when moving/teleporting a vr player’s character didn’t work, so i guess a fix would be to use Model:MoveTo() or Model:TranslateBy()? i’m still confused on why it doesn’t work though.

4 Likes

This will be awesome for making vr games easier in development! I’ve tried to find so many tutorials on how to make vr games of which none were good and the documentation is pretty confusing. Thank you guys!

5 Likes

-- Is the crashing issue with IKControl players dying still a thing?

2 Likes

Finally we can have actual vr support without relying on 3rd party plugins.

3 Likes

Do these gestures have collisions? For instance, if a VR player retracts + extends their arms to push something.

3 Likes

No. ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎ ‎

2 Likes

Apple currently fuming its not called “SpacialComputingService”

8 Likes

Please add leg tracking! This would be sick.

3 Likes

super cool stuff, definitely needs improvement but it’s awesome that roblox is taking the iniative to improve vr!!
still gonna stick on nexus vr on one of my other games (for now), but i can see myself making the switch should this get better

4 Likes

This is amazing, I love the usage of IKControl although I think Roblox should with this and layered clothing make mesh deformation avatars so it doesn’t look as silly as it now does, This is very interesting to see and I’m honestly interested in what it will get to in later versions of Roblox GOOD ONE!

2 Likes

This should’ve always been a thing! When I did this for a game myself using IKControls, I wasn’t able to get them to replicate to other clients which was very unfortunate. This will be incredibly helpful next time I add in VR support to a game!

2 Likes