Animation Engine - Runtime Changes and Fixes

I am still constantly paranoid about this update as so much of my work depends on the old animation blending behavior.

What happened to this update? Is it shelved, completely canceled, is it still coming? I’m paranoid about whether or not I should waste precious development time making code to get around this update, and I’m already on a bit of a tight schedule as is.

It’s already a lot that Roblox came in and suddenly announced that basically 90% of all animation behavior in games is just going to break due to a update, and that we have to fix it ourselves. But we also have no idea of what even happened to this update. We have no idea if we’re going to be able to change animation priorities in Lua and have it replicate properly (was confirmed earlier in the post), and we have absolutely no idea what the status of this update is.

Please just give us an update about what is happening, thank you.

5 Likes

I’m having a look at the Stopped event now.

EDIT: I can’t seem to reproduce this with catalog animations. Do you have a specific animation that reproduces this problem?

Are these your own animations? This video has the characteristic look of multiple walk/run animations being blended out-of-phase with each other. Roblox’s catalog walk and run animations are designed so that the cycles have the same duration and phase (i.e. left and right footfalls occur on the same frame numbers). If you blend in a walk-cycle that has a different framecount, or different phase (e.g. character’s left leg steps forward first in one animation, but the right leg leads in the other), you’ll get this look. Humanoid:GetPlayingAnimationTracks() can be useful for debugging this situation: you can print out the playing tracks, their animation IDs, and their TimePositions, and see if you have more tracks active than expected, or if they are not in sync.

Newbie POV: What the heck is this gibberish? Is good or bad? :eyes:

By newbie I mean me. Is this a good thing?

As I write this, this change is still in Phase 1 of a 3-phase rollout, but is about to go into Phase 2, which is the developer opt-out phase. You can pre-emptively opt-out by setting Workspace.AnimationWeightedBlendFix to “Disabled” if you’re certain your game is going to break due to the change in the handling of Enum.AnimationPriority. The other blending-related issues called out above, such as the jerky animations and joint popping/sliding during the fading in and out of different-priority-level animations, should all be fixed now, leaving only the non-backwards-compatible Priority blending change.

2 Likes

I haven’t been in studio for a few days so I’m not sure if this was silently fixed but to answer your question no, they’re the default Roblox animations. If it’s still like ‘broken’ I’ll try your suggestion and see what’s going on, thanks!

I hope you’ve got integer based priorities planned before Phase 3 rolls out. I really do not think it’s a good idea to be rolling out an irreversible change like Phase 3 without having at least some workaround that doesn’t involve ridiculous amounts of programming to circumvent this.

2 Likes

This appears to be fixed now. Experiences with AnimationWeightedBlendFix “Enabled” appear to be working like normal again.

2 Likes

It’s such a bad idea to break literally every game just for one “fix”.

4 Likes

They could have actually fixed this just by keeping the programming for the blending the same, but they decided to fix an “issue” from the original animation player, or whatever it is, from what I remember.

It’s stupid.

1 Like

Just following up.

People still do not like this change, evidently.

If I may ask a simple question to those in charge of the update, who benefits from the blending behavior change? I have not seen anyone being able to find a good use for the new blending behavior, nor can I think of a single situation where it would be beneficial to a game or its animations. It certainly has not had a positive impact on any of mine, and it has definitely had a negative one.

One of my friends, @BoojieQ is actually working to restore the old behavior, to less-than-desirable results, but what he’s managed is still better than the new behavior’s default.

It’s been a while and we haven’t heard anything about the status of this update besides being told over a month ago that Phase 2 would be rolling out soon, which it still hasn’t. No word on integer-based priorities to counteract all of the negative change this will bring either, and that would at least alleviate some of the workload.

I stand by what Boojie said, I am paranoid about this update and I do not like having to limit my workflow to compensate for this update. It is a looming sense of dread and uncertainty that is incredibly demotivating.

As I see it, this update is not coming from a developer-first mentality. I see no actual benefit coming from the blending priority change, nor have I seen a single example where that kind of behavior would be more useful than the original. I think this update would be much more graciously accepted if the blending properties had just been left well enough alone.

8 Likes

Not the first time Roblox has completely broken and then reshaped a work flow for no reason other than they wanted to. Probably won’t be the last.

1 Like

Obviously. I just wish we could get some proper answers from them about why this behavioral change is necessary and some examples of how this new blending behavior will be useful in terms of actual visuals, because I see absolutely no use for it and nobody I’ve asked does either.

1 Like

I also hate how little attention this thread is getting for how detrimental it will be for developers in the near future if they still go through with this update.

1 Like

Yeah, that too. I’m really annoyed by the lack of activity and transparency. We were told a month ago Phase 2 would be out soon and it’s been radio silence since.

2 Likes

Remember when this is was supposed to be rolled out by now? Looks like that’s probably never going to happen. And I’m glad. If Roblox just drops this update, the outcome will just be much better. Forcing everyone on the platform to rework all their animations and code regarding the playing of those animations is such a horrible decision just for the sake of a “blending fix” nobody asked for.

1 Like

Oh no, it’s going to come out, it just won’t be when we expect it at all and we’ll get barely any headsup. It’ll be forgotten about for ages and then randomly brought up again.

It’s frustrating just how little transparency we have here.

1 Like

I feel like this is just about time to let us use more than 4 measley animation priorities.
Like honestly, everybody relies on stacking animations and everyone (including me) will be mad if this comes out without the possibility of changing the animation priority to any value we want.

3 Likes

Bumping this again, requesting an update on the status yet again. It has been nearly a month since my last post, and the last update was over 3 months ago. Please give us some information.

4 Likes

Pleeeeeease go through with everything mentioned in this post. Or at least give an update. I desperately need more than 4 animation priorities for stuff I’m working on. It’s ridiculous that we have had only four for years and this post, our only hope of getting more, has seemingly been forgotten! I don’t know the specifics of what goes into a change like this, but it doesn’t seem that complicated, and I feel like it should be prioritized more considering the vast majority of popular roblox games use animations. If something is holding this back please tell us instead of being silent. :frowning:

2 Likes