Animation Engine - Runtime Changes and Fixes

Could you confirm, are your markers the new Marker type, or the old style of named keyframes? And are markers on the very last frame the only ones that you see failing to fire?

Update: Is this specific to non-looping animations? If so, I have found the root cause and am preparing the fix now.

1 Like

Seeing as how a lot of other people seem to have started paying attention to this only now, instead of in Phase 1 which was a full year ago, honestly confuses me, and I hate to be that guy, but I’m kind of surprised barely anybody appears to try to use different priorities for their animations. I know there’s only 4 priorities (now 7 or 8 with the new band-aid priorities to help with migration), but I never had a reason to rely on the old behaviour because I could use different priorities, use manual blending with :AdjustWeight, or, just one line above :Stop the old animation, kinda like the old behaviour did. Maybe this didn’t affect me as much because I don’t have that many animations in my games that play at once, only like, 2 - 5, +4 or 8 when I add blended walking animations.

I am going to say this: the old behaviour, kind of weird in retrospect. Overriding an animation entirely because another has the exact same priority and weight, just because of the order of :Play calls? This was going to get fixed eventually.

Anyway, I hope whoever is having issues sort out them out. Maybe there’s some elegant solution for developers to implement that fixes the problems that come with this change and lets me implement blended walk animations in my game, because apparently this fix was supposed to help with that.

4 Likes

in that case i think reverting it would fix that headache and make everyone happy :+1: boom, one codebase, happy developers with working games + working hundreds of animations, no new end of animation event bugs, and it doesnt even cost anything new to be made since its already been working just fine for years. or, if thats too much, then just keep the setting in workspace forever since i know i will never choose this new engine over the old one which needlessly complicates an already fine system.

honestly this seems like an internal discussion that was made without any regard for the average developer’s point of view whatsover and/or no regard for how this will impact currently ran games, i have no clue how no one could realize the damage this change can do. keeping a permanent toggle is the most obvious option, and roblox has shown before it can buckle up and do the difficult good option instead of the easy bad option when the community is upset enough (materials incident, lol.)

edit: oh, and one more thing. in the situation this does become a permanent toggle, make the default option ‘disabled’ so it doesnt break millions of games like it already did a few days ago. thanks.

14 Likes

Honestly, I’m inclined to agree. Although there’s definitely better faith in this update than whatever Roblox was attempting with the material update, it does still seem like there’s a lack of consideration for older games that will have to take the fall here.

3 Likes

So, if I read this post correctly, this property will be forced onto every game. Meaning we’re going to have to sort through all our animations and edit all their priorities, just so we don’t get screwed over by Phase 3 of this update.

What? Why would you force it like that?

If a developer has hundreds of animations used in their game, they’re gonna have a bad time editing all their animations. Not to mention that a lot of older games are going to become broken.

This is basically the material update all over again, isn’t it?

If you’re going to proceed, can you at least make it disabled and toggleable by default? Nobody wants to redo all their animations just for this. I spent a long time today trying to fix animations just to realize that it was a new property enabled by default. Thanks a lot.

10 Likes

I think the worst part about this is that its ridiculously hard or near impossible to update current games to emulate the pre-""""“FIX”"""" behavior. I’ve literally spent hours on the new system trying to make it act like the previous one, and it feels like it’s intentional to make it as impossible as possible to make animations behave as they previously did. I’ve tried the weights, stopping, etc. No dice, and I’m not doing 9 million priorities to fix it. I wouldn’t even mind if it was at least, y’know, possible to make it act as before, but it feels engineered to make it impossible.

6 Likes

I agree. What I’m not fond of is the fact that in order to emulate that behavior, it would require an incredibly hacky and potentially unreliable script, and even then, most people probably won’t have access to a scripter who can do that, or is even willing to attempt it. It’s frustrating. I would literally be screwed if I didn’t have a competent scripter right now.

In the way this is being rolled out, it is scarily similar to the materials update, although I don’t blame that on AllYourBlox, I blame it on whoever is in charge of the significant decision-making of the rollout.

3 Likes

Yes I’m using the new marker system and the marker was placed a few frames after the last keyframe. Once I moved the marker right before the last keyframe, it worked reliably again.

2 Likes

Bro your guyses animation engine updates are breaking my anims!

2 Likes

The thing is, priorities were not necessary at all. Sure they are now, because of this forced update, but date back to the past, before any of the phases have even begun, when people had no idea this update was going to come. It was simply more convenient to not check a few drop downs for the exact same result. Over time, those animations added up, and now people are sitting on mountains upon mountains of drops downs to check, organize, and reupload, all of them manually.
And keep in mind most of us had no idea this was coming, EVEN THEN when this was announced on the devforum people weren’t able to catch wind of it until it was too late.

1 Like

Thank you Roblox, this turns my game into the most immersive constipated man simulator of all time!
https://gyazo.com/3b43b06b57cb92f6ee723d5537a15fed
this is what it should ideally look like, please do not remove the legacy mode:
https://gyazo.com/2da402002e1b2233e821a4965b48bb0f

8 Likes

ESSAY INCOMING
These are my initial thoughts on the situation. I might be misreading and misunderstanding a lot here, but I tried to be as reasonable and objective as possible. While I am massively against this change, I do not think the people acting as if it is the end of the world or getting unreasonably furious about it are entirely justified as this change was not intentionally made to hurt developers whatsoever.

Unsure if I’m getting the situation right, but I’ll make my case regardless. I very, very much appreciate the effort at play here to overhaul and clean up old systems. You guys have been very dedicated to this and I’m sure a lot of work went into it. However, the new animation system, at the current moment, appears to be in a drastically worse state than the original. This is to be expected, as the original has had years upon years to be tuned and polished, and such everyone was happy with it. I really do think that you guys have great intentions here, but I feel it’s misguided.

Knowing the old system was just fine, I don’t really see the purpose of this change, as not only is it inevitably going to scramble the animations of every single game on the platform and likely cause tons of visual discrepancies in tons of games whose only real solution is for developers to manually go back and change THOUSANDS of animations, but the reason is to (seemingly) fix (I might be severely misreading the entire situation and I really apologize if I am) a singular bug that nobody in the entire community has really ever complained about or had issue with as well as another bug which has actually made the animation system very easy and intuitive to use in the past compared to other engines which shouldn’t really be considered a bug in the first place.

The new animation system is much harder to work with than the original and I absolutely do not think that the bug that developers have been utilizing for years upon years should absolutely be required to fix just because it wasn’t intended and balances weights inconsistently (which, in all honesty, I have never cared about ever, it’s really just some numbers in my eyes). While I haven’t really used it much so I’m unsure, it looks far, far worse in comparison to the old animation blending system.

I don’t mean to sound rude here, but recently there have been far too many updates that completely break and destroy aspects of the engine that people have been just fine with using for years and years without much justification. Developers should not be expected to be ready to spend weeks fixing up their games (e.g. required to go back and fix thousands of animations or rework entire maps to work with new and much less versatile materials) to be in tune with new updates to the engine and it has been a significant issue in the handling of these sorts of things for years and years.

I am very, very immensely grateful that you guys recognized the issues with the materials update and decided to go about it in another way. Seriously. It’s so awesome to see that you guys really do care about developer feedback. However, in all honesty, history is kind of repeating itself here.

Also, the logic being demonstrated from some people in these replies saying that “developers should have never relied on overlapping animations” is absolutely and utterly ridiculous. Not only did it make working with the animation engine versatile, intuitive, and generally very easy and fluent, but nobody actually knew it was a bug in the first place since it was a behavior that was EXPECTED of the engine for years. The people saying developers should have never relied on it are also asking us to go back and apply fixes to every animation we have ever played in our games and rework thousands of systems to work with the new system when it becomes mandatory which could take months and is utterly ridiculous. Most other game development engines absolutely never have to deal with this kind of thing, which is what makes it so frustrating as it feels like the engine is fighting me at every turn.

The solution? Either permanently allow people to opt-in or opt-out, which would require parallel supervision of the original animation engine which I feel is very much worth it in this situation, or just don’t follow through with this change at all. I recognize that tons of work has gone into it and I do feel very bad for suggesting this, but it is absolutely not worth the very minor benefits of the new engine compared to the ridiculous amount of things the new engine breaks and makes harder to pull off. Many changes have been made with mobile users primarily in mind recently, which is great!

However, they have seemingly been made almost exclusively with mobile users in mind as they seem to break portions of the other versions of the game with little reason. I don’t really understand this, as the mobile version of the game has been extremely stable in my personal experience and really didn’t need this.

10 Likes

Thank you for the update!

https://gyazo.com/4cba87c3d2afcf51358b7ea27e7ecd5b

Now how do I opt out of it?

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks.

Hopefully this option stays, because I’ve made roughly 300 animations for my game and got very worried when literally none of them were working tonight.

1 Like

Well, we can only hope that before they make it mandatory that all the bugs get fixed. They’re gonna lose all their testers though by breaking their games.

1 Like

I agree with the majority of what you said. I do think the materials update is repeating itself, albeit without the initial ignorance of the people who were in charge of deciding whether they stayed or not.

I also have to agree about too many huge changes happening too quickly. Between the materials update, animation update, and CSG V1 removal update, I’ve been absolutely scrambling to try and get my crap together. It’s forcing me to work with 3 new systems at once, and with all of them having problems, it’s going to basically change my entire workflow. I’m grateful they’ve been rolling out slowly, but it’s a lot of weight on my back as a small developer, having to get used to so much new so fast. It feels like once I’m ready for one undesirable, work-intensive update, another is breathing down my neck. It’s like a wolf at the door if you will.

3 Likes

I do feel that I need to vent my frustration here to add, though my understanding of the situation is fairly limited. I absolutely do not understand the reasoning behind this change. Again, I completely respect and am grateful for how hard the team has been working to improve both the game and animation engines. However, I can’t wrap my head around why this change is either necessary or worthwhile at all.

The justification given for this change presents itself as a few incredibly minor issues with the original animation engine which nobody has ever mentioned nor had any problems with before. This is in comparison to the implications of switching to the new engine, which is messing with (I’d say ‘breaking’ but that is admittedly a little harsh since not all animations are broken, but a significant portion of them are either completely broken and do not play in game or look significantly worse) every single animation ever played in any game on the entire platform and making animations harder and more tedious to work with.

While many of this might get fixed with time, the new animation system looks significantly worse than the old and blends animations in a very awkward and strange fashion that we were honestly infinitely better without. The new half-and-half blending only makes animations played together look… yikes. Everything looks stiffer, less responsive and for the lack of a better word, floaty. I don’t see what good this really does. Sure, maybe it’s an improvement technically, but it’s worse in just about every conceivable way in the practical sense.

I have to emphasize yet again that I don’t mean to come off as rude or unreasonably angry but to be entirely honest I am very frustrated. This is one of many times that an update that breaks huge aspects of our games has been presented that asks us to manually go through an utterly ridiculous amount of work to account for it ourselves. Maybe I’m just ignorant or in the dark on the whole thing, but I don’t personally think the reasoning for this has been explained well.

3 Likes

This is the reasoning for why a change is deemed necessary, alongside the bloat of maintaining two entire animation systems.

While I see the reasoning for it, I do not agree that it is worth the tradeoff of breaking several thousand games, potentially irreversibly depending on severity and/or developer inactivity. I think game preservation is one of the most important parts of the gaming world and it’s why a lot of restoration/faithful mods are created for games, to restore potentially messed up ports to the games they once were. Roblox needs to really tread lightly when they introduce platform-wide, irreversible changes on this scale.

5 Likes

It would be nice if we could edit an animation’s priority straight from the asset configuration screen so we wouldn’t have to sit through and tediously load and update animations one by one.

5 Likes