Animations aren’t showing to other players

So, I made this basketball game thingy, and I was just thinking to test something out, but then I noticed that all the animations aren’t playing for other players. I also tested it with my friends on a published game too.
Here’s a clip:

I run all the animations on local, and this used to work, also saves alot of work for server I believe.
The scripts I’m using for the player’s normal movements(running, walking etc.) are the Roblox default ones, where I just copy those and put them in, so I don’t really know what’s the problem. My only assumption is that I’m using custom models, and the animations are played through the Animation Controllers and that’s causing the issue. But how should I fix this then? Or is it not possible? I should just run all the animations on Server?

2 Likes

You would need to run the animations on the server for it to replicate to other clients.

The server can handle a lot more than you think :slight_smile:

1 Like

Btw I noticed you posted the same post in Scripting Support too. Please don’t do that as it can be considered spam

1 Like

That might not be the issue:
Screenshot_20221013-152017_Google

2 Likes

As @SomeFedoraGuy showed, that’s not the issue; we’d need to know a bit more about the character setup OP is using (@msn06s166) and whether the animations are owned by the experience’s creator (group/player).

Also, while the server can handle a lot more than most people think (but still not all that much,) animations (player animations especially,) are 100% not something the server should even care about. Unless it’s checking ids to prevent malicious behavior and the like, or replicating them to other clients.

I’d like OP to provide us with more information:

• Do you change anything about the default characters? I notice you’re using what appears to be animated meshes for your character, not sure if there’s any issues there, haven’t heard of any.
  • Are the animations being played owned and the place by the same owner? This would be either you (or another player), or a group. If they’re not, that may be an issue.

Otherwise, I can’t think of anything in particular that’d stop them from replicating.

2 Likes

Oh ok sorry, o just thought it might be caused by server and client scripts too, so i put it in there

1 Like

Hey there, so here is how my character setup is,

and I own all the animations too, they’re under my roblox profile. I don’t think I changed anything with the original character except the transparency of it’s parts

I think I know your issue.

You see, the AnimationController replicates if it’s under a Player’s Character, but from what I can tell, that means directly under a Players Character. That extra Model is why it’s not replicating.

1 Like

hmmm… I see, then I actually can’t think of a way to work around it now though, do you have any idea or suggestions?

Cuz all I know is that the animation controller would play animations to the meshes that’s directly under it’s parent

If you’re not using a StarterCharacter model, it’s time to start.

I’ll walk you through it.

1. Go to StarterPlayer and add a Model named “StarterCharacter” (The name is not optional.)
    1a. Alternatively, you can just move your character model (the one in the players character currently) under StarterPlayer and rename it. If you do this, skip step 2
  2. Move your custom characters contents into it.
  3. Rename “RootPart” to “HumanoidRootPart” and delete the AnimationController
  4. Add a Humanoid into the StarterCharacter model, we’re no longer using AnimationController as it’s for Non-Player Characters anyways.
  5. I assume you’ve got your custom Animate in StarterCharacterScripts already, but if you don’t, do that for simplicity. (It will overwrite the default automatically.)

That’s it, I think. Let me know if there’s any issues.
Also: If the character dies immediately all the time, turn “RequiresNeck” off under the Humanoid

2 Likes

hmmm I think I can just write another local script that captures all the animations that’s running on specific models/characters and just replicate them on every client, but it just seems to be quite some work, so if there’s any easier options available, I would ofcourse love to know

Great, Imma try it right now :smiley:

hey there, I followed every step above, everything seems cool. But very quick I run into something I can’t fix, is that the animations of walking and running just don’t play. I tried changing the Animation Priorities, but they don’t work either. I’m using the Default Roblox “Animate” script, just replacing the Animation IDs. The Idle animation plays but the rest don’t seem to do so, anyway to fix this?

Sorry I was out for a bit, and I’m not entirely sure why this is happening. I’d have to have a look personally to debug it thoroughly.

I’d check on the body parts, and if you modified Animate other than the IDs at all, make sure to fix that.

1 Like

I know it isn’t the issue. I saw his post wayyy before you replied to me and I liked his post to indicate I’ve read it

So I further on looked in to the situation, and at this point I’m pretty sure it’s a bug, and should be reported. Here’s an old thread about it Animations Not Replicating Correctly and here’s another one
Animations not playing & require a force update though in both threads it seems like issue was fixed, but apparently not. I also looked into the definition of a descendant means for Roblox and I’m pretty sure it is all the instances under it, so I don’t that’s what causing it. So can anyone file this as a Bug Report? Cuz I don’t know how to