Animations not replicating from client

You’re incorrect.

AnimationTest.rbxl (21.4 KB)

That’s because the LocalPlayer has implicit network ownership of their character. Clients can play and replicate animations on anything they have network ownership over.

Source? I can tell you right now a chunk of this is false. Roblox does not keep references to LuaSourceContainers. Exploiters can pass off code to the interpreter the same way your own code from Studio does. Replication has nothing to do with the interpreter, so this is off-topic.

StarterCharacter simply changes the assembly of the character. The backend still passes network ownership over. Having a StarterCharacter changes nothing. Attachments are irrelevant. Motor6Ds are transformed by animations, so yes you will need those to animate at the very minimum.

I can see you do not proper setup for Attachments, Motor6Ds, or Humanoid.
It hes to be set up correctly.

The OP isn’t using a humanoid and the character model is the cloned roblox character with it’s humanoid removed. You’re honestly just making this stuff up at this point.

2 Likes

Oops, you are right about attachments. I looked; sorry 'bout that.
However, Motor6Ds and the Humanoid have to be properly set up in order to replicate. Otherwise, it will play Locally.
Want me to give an example? I’ll set up demo if you want :wink:

Client animations only replicate if their character is using a humanoid.

As you can see in my previous post, the player has full network ownership of all parts in the character.

As I’ve said multiples times, the OP DOES NOT want to use humanoids.

This is because of the Animator object created in the Humanoid. If I recall correctly, creating one on the server can resolve the replication issue. Apply the same to an AnimationController.

2 Likes

I’m not making stuff up, I promise.
I think we are also getting off topic with talking about the humanoid (don’t know who did get towards that way, but it’s fine). Remember, we are trying to help @Acreol. Let’s do that bros.

Overall, the AnimationController won’t replicate animations (at least that’s what I would know).
Its not super complicated, it’s how it works.

That just answered the OP’s post so now we can move on from this conversation.

I did not know the animator object existed since most of my projects don’t revolve around animations, but at least I learned something new today :thinking:.

I ditto that.

Lemme grab some quotes that should be the answer to this question.

Hope that works out :slight_smile:

2 Likes

FE Player Animations

Good summary. OP’s goal flew over my head while I was skimming last night, and my posts above address a different topic. I apologize for that, but I’ll leave them there just in case for the future.

(Although some references I posted do address the issue with some possible workarounds)

1 Like

Yeah, this one is what I was referencing. The Animator under the Humanoid is created by the server. The linked thread describes disabling replication, so I flipped the logic around and applied it to an AnimationController.

1 Like

I really appreciate that you guys are so involved in helping here, but unfortunately my issue is still not resolved. I added more information here Animations don't replicate when client plays them that might be of use, including that the Animator object was pre-created in studio

I just tried to switch to Humanoids instead of AnimationControllers and not only does this break my constraint movement but it also doesn’t solve the replicating not working

Well, here’s the thing: because you don’t use a humanoid, it won’t replicate. You MUST you a server-sided script in order for it to be seen by everybody. If you need, I could help with that by providing a demo.

I had a similar issue 2 months ago, so I decided to strictly use local animations…

Using remote events, you can tell the other clients to play the animation for your character (so that they see the animation as well). The only downside is that the server won’t see any player animations, but I don’t see why the server would need to see the animations.

You are right I think but that’s really strange because so many sources as @Silentude linked (by Roblox engineers too) say that AnimationControllers do allow replication

here’s a repro:
animationcontrollerdoesntreplicate.rbxl (17.8 KB)

the animation in animtest is the same as workspace.Model.AnimSaves.ExportAnim.Test

Thats odd. Maybe it only works in certain testing situations? Or maybe it changed? It doesn’t seem to work for me.

Don’t know if you figured this out yet, but if you are using a custom character that does not use “StarterCharacter”, for example, using Player.Character to set your Character. Your humanoid of your character must have an animator on the server, Roblox will create an animator client side, but not on the server. With an animator on the server, it will replicate to the server and all of the clients.
This can be achieved by copying the animator from the client and pasting it in your character model that you clone to get your character.

This might not help acreol as I see his second topic was answered, but I hope this helps anyone else who may had the problem I did, just figured this out myself when I was reading this discussion :grinning:

2 Likes