Any method of making Parts look shiny/reflective when its not plastic?

Hello!
Is there any way to make parts that aren’t Plastic or Smooth Plastic able to be reflective/shiny? I‘m trying to make it so in a port town, when it’s raining. The sidewalks, docks, and docked ships be wet so it looks realistic.

I made “flowing water” leading into sewers between the road and sidewalks using beams, lighting effects and everything to make it look more atmospheric

One thing I tried to do is cover everything in a super-thin layer of Plastic parts, with reflectivity set to 2, and transparency to 0.9. This makes all the brick buildings, concrete sidewalks look wet. But its tedious to do this for every ship, town, sidewalk in my game. Is there any lighting tricks that make things more reflective? I tried searching but I cant find anything that works.

6 Likes

Intro

So from the sounds of it you’ve pretty much got the gist of it. It’s going to be a lot of work for a high quality result. How ever I do know a method that is similar but doesn’t work as well.

Method

Take your reflective part and set it to like .2 or something where it looks good in your game. Use this tutorial to take the texture from blender back into Roblox. Then texture it then make the transparency of the texture to around .5. Then if you want change the texture brick to a certain transparency and add duplicate a brick that’s not transparent to show depth like concrete for brick.

Why you have the best method for Quality

So I believe seeing as Roblox adds a height effect (not really PBR per-say) to your game when the graphics are at their max you can’t really emulate that with a texture unless it’s a PBR which isn’t a in-game feature yet only studio beta. I personally think your way is the best but best of luck.

Edit: There’s also this video for a wet effect but on lower graphics it will looks like water but up to you:

6 Likes

If you want a Part to look shiny, I suggest toning up the Reflectance property of the Part.

3 Likes

I didn’t think of using Terrain water. I might try to incorporate it in, tho I‘ll probably stick to my “thin layer” method. I also just thought of maybe creating a for-loop cloning every road, making it like 1% or 5% larger, making it smooth Plastic and adding it to ReplicatedStorage and parenting it to a folder in workspace called “Rain Materials” or something when it rains, and adding it back to Replicated Storage when the rain stops.

Anyways, thanks for the tip!

2 Likes