Applying materials to individual parts on a joint mesh

Hey there all, I’ve recently Been doing some 3D modelling in blender, but some of my models are fairly detailed(has a few extras to it etc.) and I find that my easiest way to do it is by importing the whole mesh joined, otherwise I have to import them all in including the tiny extras and then align them up perfectly, I mean, it’s not impossible to do, but it can be a pain when I have more than one model that I need to get into the scene but I spend a majority of my time importing a mesh separate from its extras and lining them up correctly, as I’d like to use roblox standard materials, but I found you can only use those materials on separate meshes, is there a possibility l could import my mesh joined together and some how still apply the roblox materials to individual parts on my mesh? It’s fine if not as, it’s still possible to import the mesh separately but it just takes up so much time, it’s my first post so thought I’d head to the topic with an actual issue I’m facing.

Hello Peakman, currently the only way you can add materials to the mesh is by making the whole single mesh one material, if you want to have some more control over it I suggest using textures like these

Ah ok, thanks a bunch for your reply!

The above post is not really the solution. Instead, you can properly UV map your model (there are plenty of tutorials on Youtube - here’s one to get you started), and apply a texture as you see fit.

If you’re looking for the textures of Roblox’s materials, check out this awesome thread (All Roblox Part Textures (PRE JUNE 2021)) by @Younite that you can turn into a texture sheet and apply to your model following the UV map you make.

I understand this is pretty advanced and (semi-)complicated, but it’s the proper way to do it and you’ll be better for it when you learn.

2 Likes