Archimedes Plugin (Patch v2.5) - Direction naming scheme conundrum

Edit: People keep linking to this thread and asking about it as if it’s some sort of update or informational thread. It isn’t - I was just asking for feedback/ideas about something. If you’re here for information about Archimedes, this isn’t the place to look, sorry. Go to the group page and follow the social links if you have a question.

Summary

Alright, so I’m not entirely certain on which category I should post this in. It’s for a plugin that aids with building, but what I need help with relates to the UI of the plugin itself. There are categories for all three of these things. Resolving my issue may get more technical though, so I’ll try my luck here.

I’m working on a patch update for my Archimedes plugin (link below for anyone interested), but I’m having trouble coming up with a new name scheme for the direction/axis controls.

Archimedes (v3.1.7) - Roblox

Old New

The old version on the left uses x, y, z, and then goes on to use x², y², and z². I want to change this because…

1. It doesn’t really make any sense. I had no idea what to call them, so I just randomly decided to attach ² on to the end and just stuck with it.

2. I’m afraid that it may scare people away from using the plugin because it makes it appear more complicated than it actually is.

I decided to rename these buttons in the patch, but then I realized that the new directional naming scheme (Top, Bottom, Left, Right) doesn’t make sense either. If you take a look at the GIF below, z and z² actually come from the same sides (Front), just at different angles. This means that with the new design, there would technically need to be two Fronts. The same logic goes for x and y.

So… I’m at a loss as to what I should rename these buttons to. I would like it to be something more user-friendly. Any ideas?

10 Likes

I think renaming is not a good choice, as normal builders don’t know the side of the block or they need check it each time in the properties.
I suggest when you touch the buttons, it will make a finalize preview or arrow preview on both side so the builder can see the side easily.

This pic is for example, when you touch the button, it will show arrow showing which side you are going to select.

Pic source from Roblox Wiki

1 Like

Just make 3 axes for example axe x, z,y and for all three wheel with angle

Or using old good r/t but in 10°

Part of the reason this post exists is because I realized that renaming the buttons to what I had intended was not a good choice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Colour coding with arrows that coordinate with the buttons might partially work, but if you look at the gif that I posted, both “z” options would go to the same arrow (aka both come from the blue direction, just at different angles). I would prefer some way to easily differentiate between the two options.

Your idea would make it a lot quicker though, because then you’d end up only having to test out two buttons, so I will probably implement that in some way.

Edit: This isn’t a full solution, so I’m leaving the thread open in case anyone has any ideas. If not, then I will mark your answer as the solution (@addisonshiu) and try so solve the remaining issue myself.

The arrow can made like this to know which side quickly, default as 45 degrees to make the difference.

Sorry for off topic, can you implement your plugin with ChangeHistoryService, each time I press Ctrl Z / updo and it just delete all the parts your plugin generated. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

That’s going to be part of the patch update! It was annoying me as well.

But yeah, I was hoping to avoid having to make custom arrows and just get by using the built in ones, but custom may be the way to go. Thanks!

Edit: If you know of any other issues with the plugin, please DM me. I’m hoping to patch all the bugs in this update.

1 Like

For me as user it look as move not rotation(I understood it as problem with marking rotation

I think the arrow can be animated like a car swiper so it would be more cleared as some people like @mistr88 use your plugin as moving only.
Or just make a semi transparent circle image showing the side.

I think that it can be most user friendly when scale are two arrows at opposite sides move 1 arow and rotate circle arow :arrows_clockwise:(its from my emoji I don’t know how you will see it

And you can also put all bricks to one object and each will have id that will automatically increment by 1 and presing control z will delete one with highest id

bruh it won’t let me place parts what is the hott key