Are Bodymovers still supported?

Hey, so I was just wondering if BodyMovers are still actively supported by Roblox, as I’ve been noticing several issues while using them, in which I’ll vaguely describe:

So, the weird thing about this issue is that, my code never throws me an error, and it continues to function. It’s the actual functionality of the BodyMover (in this case I’m using BodyGyro and BodyPosition.)

It’s for my bowling game. Sometimes, the pinsetter never comes down, but it still sets up the pins as intended, which makes me think it’s purely a rendering issue (on Roblox end, assuming it’s that BodyMovers simply aren’t supported anymore)

If this is true, I would wonder as to how I could substitute these forces, assuming Roblox has provided a more reliable way to do the exact same things. (Maintain orientation, and position.)

Thank you!

1 Like

BodyMovers are deprecated. I think Roblox still maintains some level of support for them but you risk running into bugs and eventual complete lack of support. This may (or may not) be what’s causing you issues.

If you need something like BodyPosition and BodyGyro then check out AlignPosition and AlignOrientation.

You also have VectorForce which is like a BodyForce, Torque which acts like a rotational BodyForce, and LineForce which pulls two points together. There’s also the other constraints you can check out.

8 Likes

Thank you for the information! I’ll definitely be looking into converting it into other options.

With that being said, are you aware of any tutorials using Constraints that like, move a brick or something much like BodyPosition does? It’d be great if there were any videos or written-up tutorials of something like that, so I could study it, as I’ve never really dug deep into Constraints at all, and I’m a bit confused as to how to start.

Thanks again!

Here is a general overview.

Here is a revolving door tutorial.

Both can be found by typing ‘Constraint’ into the search box on https://www.robloxdev.com

There may be video tutorials on YouTube or text tutorials on here somewhere. I haven’t searched for them though, so feel free to search the devforum and YouTube for Roblox Constraint tutorials!

Off-topic Advice

It’s a good idea to use the post-specific Reply buttons…

…when you want to get someone’s attention, as it gives them a notification. Alternative, you can @ them like @C_Sharper, which also gives a notification. I almost didn’t realize you asked another question as I didn’t see a notification.

This is as opposed to the topic reply button…

…which does not give users notifications by default (except for the topic creator).

You may notice that post-specific replies show who is being replied to, but topic replies do not:

2 Likes

Thanks! :slight_smile: