Are library assets/parts of them actually free to use?

I recently found a free model in the library/toolbox that included parts (meshes) that I’d like to use for some of my own models, (because I have no skills at creating meshes nor the spare time to learn how to do it well) but when I took the meshes and used an asset info search plugin to find out who created them (so that later on I could give credit the creator), I found they were no longer available in the library. This model I found was available to use but the meshes weren’t in the library individually, which made me wonder if I should even be using them?

This made me wonder about whether anything in the library is even safe or fair to use.
The last thing I want is to be called out for stealing a mesh I didn’t actually steal, but unknowingly used because I presumed it was free (because it’s in the library)

If the meshes I found weren’t supposed to be available publicly then it pretty much makes the library a little useless other than as a “learning tool” because any asset in there could contain parts that someone never intended to be public.

Is the only choice really to build it all myself from baseparts without using meshes? Or maybe just using meshes found under the mesh search in the toolbox? the box doesn’t have a search by assetid (which it really could do with)

It would also be pointless licensing/buying meshes from a professional outfit, because if I uploaded them I’d be guilty of making them available for anyone to steal, surely?

NOTE: the model I found does load into studio, so the mesh assets are usable, and I’ve seen other games using similar if not identical meshes (obviously I can’t be sure they weren’t uploaded under a different assetid)

3 Likes

Not everything in the library is safe. However if you was able to “buy” something from the library (which means it gets added to your inventory) It means that it was set as uncopylocked. Just because it’s no longer uncopylocked doesn’t mean you can’t use it. Hence the fact it gets added to your inventory.

Buying that item, was your license to use it. It’s like getting a steam game because the developer accidentally set it as free. Once its yours its yours. (Unless that happened because of a glitch)

With that being said you should be careful on what models you use from the library. However if the item isn’t in your inventory then you probably shouldn’t be using it. (This does not include packages IMO).

If you got a pack and it had meshes, and those meshes load in your game. Then it came as part of that pack. So why not use it?

Also uploading your own mesh doesn’t make it available to everyone. If someone puts a mesh in their game, without authorization it will failed to load by the Content Provider. This is why you can upload licensed music as long as you have the proper licenses to use them and can produce a license if asked to provide one by Roblox.

Now if you did upload someone elses mesh or audio and set it as uncopylocked. You would surely be guilty of making them available to everyone.

My recommendation though is if you are going to use someone elses assets, whether you have a license (of any form) or not. It should strictly be as a placeholder and not stay in the game any longer than it have to be. You should always strive for original content (IMO). That doesn’t mean I condone the use of unlicensed content. Nor would I use unlicensed content as a placeholder for any project on Roblox.

To add on to my point of striving for original content. Some sounds, and audio for instance might be used in production. For certain cases where an asset was purchased for production use, and intended to be used in production I feel its perfectly fine to use (IMO, as long as the license covers it. Hope I could get my point across though.)

4 Likes

Thanks for clarifying things for me!
Like you both suggest, I’m trying to create as much of the game as possible using content/assets I create myself, it’s just that some elements - such as a few detailed meshes I’d like to use - are a little beyond my skills (atm).
Thanks!

@wanderingjack Be careful. I am sure the other users answered the more relevant aspects of your question. However, be aware of a lot of the models in the tool box/library are stolen from out of ROBLOX sources. Quite a bit of them.

You never know what assets can have what license attached. Honestly if you really need free assets you might as well use meshes and properly check their licenses.

Also I have to disagree with the statement that anything professional or official can’t not use free assets. Free assets are there for a reason. To speed up your workflow, get more done, and focus your skills on whats most important. (But keep in mind, free assets should be used by those who can make the asset if they desired, but want to simply speed up workflow.)

Also, credits are always nice.

3 Likes