Are sounds like these allowed for Xbox and Featured Games?

I been wondering this for quite awhile, as my brother is doing most of our music which is going to be original I’m not sure he’ll be able to cover all the sound effects involved in our game.

I was wondering if sounds from places like this allowed to be used when applying to be on xbox:
https://freesound.org/people/qubodup/packs/9790/

Youtube also has a lot of Royalty Free music and sounds I might use.

Another question is what if I purchased an audio pack and have a proof of purchase receipt, can I still use it?

Xbox featured games are not allowed to have content that violates copyright. If that sound pack comes with a copyright license that allows you to use it then it is fine to use for Xbox featured games. Same with Royalty Free music.

Some examples of license types:

• Free to use, no restrictions. (CC0 and Public Domain)
  • Requires attribution, i.e. credit to the author in your work (game) somewhere. (CC by)
  • “Free”, but not allowed for commercial works, which Roblox games are if you devex from them. (CC by nc)
  • Some licenses explicitely state that you can’t use it at all.

Licenses can be more complicated than these and can even include specific terms formed in a negotiation. This only describes some of the common licenses you’ll find when searching for free stuff.

Always check the license and comply with it. As long as you do then it’s fine to use it for Xbox featured games.

Here’s the relevant section from the Xbox Featured Checklist: “NO unlicensed copy-written material (images, audio, text or speech without explicit permission from owner)”

Always look up and understand the license of any code, music, or graphics you plan on using and comply with it.

3 Likes