Are there better building tools, or am I being too whiny?

I’m asking for general advice here. I can bust out a hundred line of code for a certain purpose. When it comes to building for a certain purpose, I really struggle because of this reason:

Code is super easy to modify after you’ve written it. I try build that way too, but with the studio build tools it seems a lot harder for me to do anything that looks halfway decent without driving myself nuts. Building in a program like blender seems a lot better for this. Are there any plugins that make building in Roblox like building in blender? Or should I build in blender and then import it into roblox?

Also I really cant stand when things aren’t aligned to a grid of step size 0.05 and when edges don’t line up. Is there something I can use to make this process simpler too?

3 Likes

You should build in blender if you find it easier. The only reason to build in Roblox is ease of use. Roblox unions are unreliable and tend to get corrupted easily, and meshes also have a higher triangle limit if I’m remembering right.

6 Likes

Bulk import has a function that splits up one FBX file into multiple meshparts right? So if I build like an entire house in blender i could import it and it would split up?

1 Like

Hey Defegne.

First off, if you’ve been using studio for a while in terms of building, I recommend you should switch to different building plugins. Although studio build tools are very straightforward and easy to use, plugins offer a more wide range of tools to use, as well as some convenient options that studio built-in tools don’t have.

I personally use F3X Building Tools, and a bunch of other useful plugins to get a great outcome from my builds!

Blender is used more for modelling as in compared to building an overworld with a ton of terrain and buildings, though if you find building in Blender easier, I’d say go for it!

For your issue about the 0.05 step size and the edges not aligning, I’d use the gapfill plugin.

Here’s the plugins for convenience sake: https://www.roblox.com/library/165687726/Stravant-GapFill-Extrude-Fixed

Also the link to F3X Building Tools: https://www.roblox.com/library/144950355/Building-Tools-by-F3X-Plugin

2 Likes

I haven’t used studio tools besides CSG and Drag since 2014 or 2015

These tools cover 90% of what I generally do

I’d recommend SBS over a tool like F3X since the latter seems more suited toward in-game building rather than studio, as it comes with a lot of “bloat” that can make navigation a bit more difficult. SBS provides just the fundamentals that you’ll require.

3 Likes

I too cannot stand when edges do not align. The best way to avoid this is begin building in increments of 0.25 (i.e. 0.5, 1) and stay here for the continuation of the project.

Typically when building in Roblox you needn’t go below 0.25 when building (even when building in detail). When you build on multiples of 0.25 everything lines up much better and you can change to 0.5 and 1 stud easily while still having edges line up.

In addition, if this problem persists I would look at the scaling and position of the parts in the properties panel. See where the discrepancies fall.

Part1 is on the left. Part2 is on the right.
Part1 has the following position data: exmaple2
Part2 has the following position data: example3
The two are off by 0.034 of a stud. By simply copying and pasting the Y coordinate of Part1 (34.7) into the Y coordinate of Part2 (34.734), they now line up.

This is just how I try and align objects that are off slightly e.e but you do whatever feels comfortable as a builder haha.

that first image gives me anxiety

4 Likes

I would recommend F3X especially for resizing parts in bulk.

personally i use f3x and blender to build. anything that is easy to do in studio like making walls etc… ill do it in studio for the time and convenience sake - more detailed and advanced shapes like bevels, curves etc… id make it in blender then import it into roblox. if the mesh is too big, i separate the meshes and then group them later in studio.

You can have 50,000 triangles… I believe in a meshpart.

Nope, only 10,000 triangles per meshpart.

You can bypass it tho, I forgot how.