Are we too unfriendly of a community?

OH SHIT

True

1 Like

I don’t really reply much as I don’t feel a need to post, but I do check here on a daily basis for updates and stuff.

Oh, I forgot to mention that shitposting and perpetuating off-topic personal attacks and ridicule doesn’t help, silly me :scream_cat:

4 Likes

People like to lurk.

3 Likes

I am a habitual lurker, but I am known to comment occasionally when the whim takes me.

1 Like

Or accusing someone of shit posting when they’re not also doesn’t help. Nor does the constant bickering of devs saying “my way is better then your way” or posting useless uninformative and unhelpfuly pointless posts in development discussion threads whenever someone asks for an explanation of something.

######cough echo axis script cough

But overall I think RBXDev isn’t too hostile of a community, its kinda cozy in here if you don’t mind the fact you’re gonna get picked on for not liking magic… Yep, cozy community, especially when compared to RT and OT on the normal forums… /cringe

1 Like

Every forum is cozy compared to OT lol

Incoming salt, brace yourselves!

2 Likes

Segregation and ganging up on people isn’t friendly. If you have beef, keep it private and hopefully you can sort something out that everyone is happy with :confused:

2 Likes

A lock isn’t really necessary. The thread isn’t volatile (it was fine for 40+ posts) – it’s just that a few people made some bad posts. Those posts can be deleted by the posters themselves or a moderator and the topic can remain open in case someone ever has anything valuable to add in the future.

1 Like

Who do some devs fight each other? Can’t we all just be friends? I don’t see a reason to get mad on another blender artist or something to that extent.

2 Likes

Okay, let’s test this out haha.

It’s not because of what people work on haha. People are different, differences can sometimes be opposing, causing conflict.

But when there’s coflict, it tends to get really nasty a lot of times.

Meh, I haven’t seen it get nasty. People just need to take a walk before they smash their keyboard if that’s the case haha

If I am angry at someone, I usually end up writing 10 different responses while brainstorming the topic. And after each draft I get calmer, then I write a better draft until I am calm enough to write and send a reply that won’t offend. But my first reply is usually a massive roast that I am really tempted to send, just gotta get over that hurdle :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

You should apply for RBXDev anger management coach :smiley:

2 Likes

People interpret the ways other people treat them differently. And programmers typically don’t have many manners, and tend to be very blunt, and are trained to find problems (in arguments, logic, or people). The effect from that training and personality type is to make someone who while they intend no harm, end up hurting people’s feelings, and coming across as argumentative.

As for artists, you guys are generally pretty nice socially. Builders I don’t know how they fare, but programmers are mostly all jerks. What happens when a Jerk confronts you, and you take it as a personal attack? You reply, refute the attack, they reply back and point out more proof they were right, and it gets “nasty”. Then people who dislike each other end up hating each other after a few of these conflicts.

Probably why INTJs are such a small percentage of the human population, they are great, but too many in one place == bad

1 Like

Even in science, programmers/computer scientists have been shown to be hyper-critical compared to their peers from other fields:

http://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2010/7/95070-hypercriticality/fulltext

triggered.jpg

4 Likes

Not sure if it came across, but it does highlight the point about misinterpretation, but that post was meant as “here is the problem in that there was an argument just waiting to happen from the post”.
I haven’t really spoken with ScriptOn, so would be unable to pass judgement.