Argon - Full featured tool for Roblox development

Does Argon support init.rbxm or .src.rbxm? Because Rojo doesn’t have this feature

Yep! Every file type supports .src in Argon!

Then why this error message? It only happens for me. My init.rbxm file is a Tool and there are no errors from my VSCode
I guess this is Argon’s limitations. Also I really like your plugin btw :+1:

Im running into this same issue. I never installed argon before. I installed, restarted vscode and same issue. I also nuked argon folders in %userprofile%/.vscode/extensions as a safe measure and the error persists.

Im was on vscode 1.70… I updated to latest version 1.90 LTS and error persists.

Make sure VSC runs as administrator for Argon to work properly. But, to have VSC automatically update, it needs to not run as admin. Confusing!

I dont like auto updates because it breaks some internal tooling I have for work.

Anyways running as Admin worked. Thanks!

It’s not. Bad Request error is caused by something else. I’m trying to find what instance/properties cause this error as it was already reported before.

Sorry if I am sounding a bit too harsh, the thing is I don’t understand why ya’ll are preferring VS code over Roblox Studio. Roblox Studio is a fully fletched IDE and VS code a code editor. VS code and studio both are great in terms of their work, VS code is used mostly for code editing and those langs that dont require that much of debugging like HTML, CSS and JS/TS, but as studio is an IDE, we shall prefer that more. Roblox Studio is just great, If ya’ll just wanna switch things just why not create own open-sourced IDE with Jetbrain’s IDE devkit?

That’s the main reason? I mean, people don’t use VSCode for other stuff, they just want to enhance their coding experience. They prefer VSCode over roblox studio in terms of coding experience and extensions.

First of all, Argon works with any external editor whose usage is purely a matter of preference. But Argon isn’t only used for syncing code between editor and studio. It allows you to create plugins, packages, and places without using Roblox Studio. It allows you to automate the process of building and deployment. It allows you to use many awesome community-made tools that simply aren’t available in Roblox Studio. Read more here.

Well, you are very wrong here.

It’s not. The coding experience is worse than in a properly setup editor and it lacks many industry-standard tools like git.

Again, you miss the point of Argon or any other similar tool.

How do I disable strict mode with luau lsp?

I recommend using strict mode, but you could disable these settings

I assume that Argon is only for Roblox, Roblox already has automatic deployment/publishing features. And, What do you mean by building, Luau is not such language that needs to be compiledd or builded.

Well I appreciate the idea of community made tools, but we all shall keep in mind that all tools have their pros, and cons. As cons in studio you have stated that external tools aren’t available, but there are many production level plugins by our own roblox devs community.

Not at all, coding experience is great. As I have said, there are external plugins available on roblox marketplace, We can also just fork other tools like mentioned in your Argon intro website like Luau LSP, StyLua and roblox-ts and bit of adjusting and modifying of code will make it work with studio too.

Also, git and other similar repo-type version control system are mostly used to open source any hobby project, while developing we ain’t gonna open-source them anyway.

Excuse me? How am I wrong here?

No, it has not. You have to run the Roblox Studio and publish the asset by yourself. You can’t do that programmatically as there is simply no user-available API for that.

Building the plugin/place/package/model to Roblox binary or XML format. The building and deployment process of Argon, Rojo, and many many other tools is 100% automated using GitHub Actions. Here is Argon’s Roblox Studio plugin workflow as an example.

None of them solve the problems that face large studios or more advanced solo programmers. That’s it.

If that’s how you fell it’s good for you! You just have to understand that some of us prefer to be able to customize your editor’s look/behavior/capabilities more than it is possible in Roblox Studio.

See my VS Code setup as an example

What?! Luau LSP literally uses Luau source code to work. StyLua is written in Rust and roblox-ts is TypeScript to Luau compiler. Are you trying to say that with “bit of adjusting and modifying” you can make them work in Roblox Studio?

No that’s not true. git is used everywhere, not just for open-source projects. Every large studio here on Roblox uses git internally as it’s crucial to track changes and have the ability to revert, or just see the them when needed. And it’s just one of the many reasons why git is extremely useful everywhere.

VSC is used for coding in literally every language and it has strong debugging capabilities. And the fact that it is an editor and not an IDE makes it possible to use with any language/framework/engine or anything else.

As a last thing, I just want to add that even Roblox employees use external editors and automation tools to write Luau code.

It does not.

He meant about building place files with the source code of the game

Everybody has their own opinions, and the more you use other languages besides lua/luau on Roblox, you’ll realize how much better VSCode is than Roblox Studio

Absolutely not. You’d have to do language translations and still have to modify a lot bit of the code for it to actually work. Still, you will arise problems since you can’t use npm / cargo packages on Roblox.

That’s very wrong. I’m developing my game with my full team on GitHub and we open issues for any bugs. And every other big game does so as well.

All of these answers are how you are wrong.

Similar to @Dervex's file structure, here's mine as well

If you still don’t think that external development is anything big, an entire community exists purely on external development.

when i click on connect, show this, how i can fix?
erro

Could you send me the full output? Just resize the window so that I can see the full log.

Here, the full log.

Thanks, what Argon CLI version are you using?

I am out of home now, but i think is 2.0.6