As a builder, how do you plan your builds?

First, imagine.
Get a clear idea of ​​what you do.
After, start thinking about things you can do in your construction, even if small and simple, always write, because in the details dwells perfection.
After that, you can share your ideas with friends and acquaintances, they can help you in the process and before you begin.
How can I get started?
Remember, most ideas come when you’re in the middle of work, that is, do not stick to doing exactly what you’ve planned (this is the charm of the builders, each one has yours!)
The rest goes from person to person, each one has his style and way of doing things, be yourself and do the good works of art! xD

1 Like

What I do:

Have a ground base on what I’m going to be building. After I’ve done that, I gather ideas and try to put them together, eliminating those that might not fit with the theme.

After I’ve done that, you get to the stage of planning what exactly your build is going to look like, but note that this isn’t going to be a quick and easy process. Thinking of how your build is going to look, and appeal to your audience isn’t going to be the most easiest thing when it comes to building.

When you’ve got all of the above done, and you have a basic layout as to what your build is going to look like, it all comes down to building from that layout, and tweaking things that you may find unfitting.

If you have trouble trying to add detail, I suggest looking up a google image of what’s similar to your build, and try to implement it there. As for what you’re doing (futuristic area), I would search up a futuristic area, or futuristic city.

As I said again, adding immense detail to your builds isn’t going to be the absolute easiest thing to do.

The most easiest way to improve your builds is practice. Practicing is without a doubt, one of the most easiest ways to improve your builds, as much as you practice, you’ll definitely see a difference in your builds.

I wish you good luck with this! :smile:

3 Likes

All you want to do, is just sketch your build out on paper and list the following items:

Properties
How it works
What materials you will use
Shape
Size
Parts used
And way more of your imagination!

I use this strategy to plan my builds! Also, if something does not look right, change the build and re do it, also you could try to get criticism from fellow members of the Developer Forums.

2 Likes

Heres what I recommend you should do to organize/plan out your builds!

-Making a sketch of any ideas in your head. (Add annotations throughout your sketch describing certain aspects of the build.)
-Using a photo reference helps me personally the most. (You can also add annotations to the photo pointing at specific things you might do when building)
-If you have trouble with certain parts of your build and don’t know what to add feel free to look up photos and art related to the topic of your build to give you inspiration.
-If your creating something fully from your imagination, start building a very simple layout with the basic shapes of what your build might look like. Build anything that comes up to your head to your best ability in a simple form first. Then you can use the other techniques to start adding detail to certain parts of your build.

Try to use all four techniques to your best ability!

2 Likes

draw a little plan for your map, like a sketch

1 Like

When building and planning out maps, I recently started using a three stage method suggested to me by a friend. First, you get a general idea of what you want in the map and where you want things to be. Secondly, you need to make a layout, by layout I mean a non detailed general shape of everything that will go on the map and where it will go, mainly the structures/buildings. Third stage is going over all the buildings adding detail in layers sort of like layering finish/paint on wood; you add the detail in layers to every building until you end up with what you want. This method may not work for everyone, and i’m sure there are better and more efficient methods out there but this is what works for me.

2 Likes

Love the idea of stages. I’m always a fan of a good, effective step-by-step process that covers everything from the large scale to the details.

1 Like

Frankly speaking, I am not that great of a builder. I’ve just started building in 2019 and personally, I’m really proud how much I have became better over a span of a couple months.
But I do have some tips for you.

some of the tips are based on your futuristic build

Inspiration - Inspiration is a massively important. Without inspiration there’s little what you can do. Most of the builds by ALL builders (99% of them) are inspired by something. You said you are making a futuristic build, and don’t know what to put in. Google future and look in the images tab, there must be something that you could be inspired from. Also, inspiration is not “copying”.

Details - Details are important for a game, but sometimes, some places don’t require details while some others require a lot of details. You must look on the part (For example the floor) first and not give a lot of details if you think a player will not generally look on it for an amount of time. But, if you think a player will look at a part for an amount of time (For example a wall) you should put details on it.

Variety - Variety of details is important. If you make 2 futuristic buildings and copy paste them around the whole city, it’s not going to cut it. The game will look very bland and dull because of the almost negligible variety in the game. That’s why I suggest making 10 buildings for a small-medium map and putting them around the map, and making 20 buildings for a big map. If you want you can always make all the buildings different, but its up to you. I generally don’t do that because it will take a long time.

Details type - Details can also be heavily influenced by inspiration. I suggest testing out random things here and there and see how it looks. For example, try putting a trash can or maybe a futuristic bill board, or even a futuristic cafe, etc.

Blender - Details are mostly modeled in blender. In Roblox studio its hard to make good looking assets, so I suggest learning blender and improve your modeling skills. It will help you a lot.

Feedback - Feedback is really important. Part of my improvement is due to a lot of other good developers giving their feedback on my builds. Some places I personally get feedback is in #help-and-feedback , #help-and-feedback:cool-creations , and in discord servers.

Practice - And finally, practice. With practice you can make one of your dream builds. Keep practicing.

That’s all, hope you will use some of these tips.
Thanks for reading, and keep up the great work. :heart:

3 Likes