As a Roblox developer it's currently impossible to hit the 200.00 MB memory target set by the performance stats

Mmmmmmmm. I’m sure one gig of memory for a purely empty place without even a player character is acceptable for roblox.

At least in task manager it says its only using 700 megs!

2 Likes

Is this in Roblox Studio? It can misreport memory sometimes which is why you should test in a live server when you can when measuring memory usage

No its the normal client. I did not get these numbers from studio.

since garbage collection is incremental it might take a while for memory to clear up, this can be observed by allocating a bunch of memory and then leaving it for a while
still that much memory for an empty place is insane and i’m surprised it’s even getting to half that point

Been trying to leave it open for a few minutes now. All Ive noticed is a drop of around 5 mb in memory. Said drop kinda adds itself back every once in a while though.

Hey joining via the web page within the client adds another 300-500 megs on the client! On task manager im only seeing an increase of around 200-300 mb though.

damn that’s really weird, i can’t really think of what’s taking up all the memory since the whole engine shouldn’t take that much; i recall getting like 600mb of usage at one point but i can’t even remember how

If you can find a way to get the 600 mb of usage back then slide the info! Though that may have been a while back for 600 megs to be possible. Though engine itself takes this much probably because of how bloated it is (or at least the client).

You can force it to use less memory by getting other applications to use more memory. Just open a ton of Chrome tabs and the usage will drop over time. It isn’t a fixed amount, it’s only using that much because it can.

That’s not going to actually make it use less memory. What will happen instead is that once you start using most of your RAM, the roblox client (and other applications) will start moving their contents into “swap” space. This “swap” space basically being additional ram added by your storage devices like hard drives and ssds. Applications moving their memory onto swap WILL make themselves appear as if theire using less memory within task manager while in reality nothing really changed about them.

Either way i’m not sure why roblox would even allocate itself that much memory. There has never existed a time in which roblox seemingly gives itself more memory than it needs to. It’s memory usage going higher and higher has been a pretty slow process happening for years at this point. It’s insane how the client itself running nearly nothing uses around 3-10 times more memory than its taking disk space.

1 Like

Swapping is an OS-level process. From the application perspective, it’s still using the same amount of memory. Roblox’s memory tracker works by directly tracking how much memory every part of Roblox asks from the OS. There is simply no entry point for swapping in this process, other than when the memory itself is allocated.

In fact, it’s quite simple to get Roblox to report it’s using far more memory than you have RAM, I recall trying to get Studio to OOM and having it report 20 gigabytes of memory usage… on a system with only 8 gigs of RAM.

How are you measuring it’s disk usage? Are you accounting for assets and other content files?

1 Like

This comparation is done with a absolutely empty place (as empty as anyone here can get it) vs the file size of the actual client folder.

simply using a while task.wait() do loop to add massive buffers to an array did the trick but i’m not giving the repro code since it took like 48gb of my swap file for some reason, then it started giving me allocation errors even though it reported 12gb used; i don’t want to contribute to someone’s ssd blowing up so write it yourself at your own risk

2 Likes

Geez, what do you have a million parts in your game? That’s a ton of memory usage.

i was given this memory and i will use it all

4 Likes

atleast 640, with that much ram you can run 95-98% of the games on roblox.

But it doesn’t account for the System ram usage (like in my case, i have 2 GB ram, but Android uses 1.3GB, so yea)