Asset viewer page does not work with Image IDs and MESH ids

I wonder if this implies Roblox will soon be forcing all assets within a game to have permission from the uploader to be used in said game.

If that’s the case, most games on Roblox will break, especially if they’ve used free models containing meshes from the toolbox.

If that’s not the case, now we have to go in studio to preview assets that weren’t uploaded by us, which is more counterproductive and time-consuming. I really hope this change gets reverted or roblox changes how the creator marketplace works (if this case were true).

5 Likes

Are you able to view your own image assets? Those don’t appear to work even if you’re the author of them.

1 Like

This issue is severely impacting my workflow. I typically copy the rbxassetid from what I need to edit and paste it into https://www.roblox.com/library/(ID-here) for quick download access. I’ve also noticed beginning today, this method now redirects me to the creator hub. I wouldn’t have a problem with the redirect if I wasn’t greeted with a 404. Attempting to access said asset from my inventory also displays 404. This doesn’t appear to be an ownership issue.

5 Likes

No, I can’t even do that on asset ID 13835540504 either, which is a PS Touchpad button hint uploaded on the same wilsontulus5 account.

Despite the MarketplaceService clearly states the asset ID (the image itself is from a free image source) belongs to my account.

Can’t even view it on the webpage, let alone the random Image IDs coming from CoreGui Asset Detection logs.

Roblox needs to finish their Creator Hub before removing their already-reliable “old page”.

8 Likes

This is pretty silly. I don’t understand why the old library page is inaccessible now, but I want to be able to access it still. For reasons just like this, the newer page is missing content the older page didn’t have. Specifically, viewing anything outside of the “general” assets (such as these) and viewing comments made on assets. I’m not sure I even get why it redirects now when it only supports a subset of the asset types the other URL supported either. Nevertheless, I should be able to access the old library page in some way.

7 Likes

I have now alot duplicated images cuz I haven’t acces to the IDs it shows only the first page if I go to the next it shows the first page

It still not fixed after months

1 Like

How do we find the useable Roblox image/decal ID from the asset IDs? I used to use my inventory as a way to look up rbxassetids but the useable IDs are no longer shown. The asset IDs don’t work for images or decals and I can’t find an api call to get the correct ones. The only alternative I know of is to reupload all the assets I don’t have the IDs for.

3 Likes

I use the BTRoblox extension on chrome . Its open source and has an image button which redirects you to the image page. You can get it on github and use as a local extension for security

Or you can use a decal in studio which isnt ideal

2 Likes

Thank you! Just a little clunky but you saved me a bunch of time.

4 Likes

If you believe by putting every asset of anyone private will stop people from stealing assets from other people then you’re completely wrong and you’re going in a wall.
The Export Selection exists in Roblox Studio and will never disappear, if not nobody can make 3D renders of Roblox characters.

Oh woah, I crash when I try to export.

1 Like

I have BTRoblox and I can’t download my own assets with it anymore. It only gives the rbxm file.

2 Likes

Temporary workaround

https://devforum.roblox.com/t/workaround/2739123/52

2 Likes

Thank the heavens for this script, I can finally view offsale decals once again! (roblox needed me to extend this comment)

how do you use the script might i ask?

Thank you for reporting this and for all the feedback here! We have reversed the redirect of mesh and image asset types to Creator Hub. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.

For all other Creator Marketplace asset types, we believe the Creator Hub surface area better accounts for the privacy of assets, enables trusted reviews for community feedback, provides avenues to display rich media, and serves as a foundation for further enrichment of Creator Marketplace asset details pages.

Your feedback is important to us as we actively continue to improve the Creator Hub side of Creator Marketplace.

7 Likes

Thanks for allowing Images and Meshes to be viewed again, but it still doesn’t make much sense to block un-owned offsale assets from being viewed in the Creator Marketplace. Anyone can easily use a browser extension or an API to get around this.

Additionally, this restriction only applies to Creator Marketplace assets and not avatar items. There is no way to hide offsale avatar items, and you can’t even archive them, which is a much-needed feature.

I agree that asset privacy is important, but perhaps a better solution could be thought of instead of outright blocking everything?

3 Likes

Hello, I just tried viewing a model that I do not own and is offsale, and I was redirected to the creator hub. It would be much appreciated if this behavior was changed

I will open a feature request later about this, as of right now the problem detailed in this bug report is fixed

Unsure if the change has been pushed yet or not, but I am still experiencing this issue. Before making a change like this, I suggest you possibly evaluate the outcome of the change. For me personally, when I have multiple people working on a project, it’s very inconvenient to be unable to access meshes and/or images on the website that have been uploaded by others. I use this feature daily to download textures I no longer have the files for and also access textures uploaded by my other developers so that I can make modifications to them. If this update could be reverted that would be greatly appreciated. I’m sure I am not the only one working with multiple developers on projects

2 Likes

Redirecting models to the Creator Marketplace has made it impossible to add a model to your profile collections.

Before, you could click the 3 dots on a model’s library page and select “Add to Profile” to only display that specific model on your profile instead of your 6 most-recent ones. This feature is very useful for users who do not want their profile to automatically display any private assets.

You can do this with clothing and places too.
You can add up to 6 models, 6 clothing items, and 42 places.

However, this option is not available on models in the Creator Marketplace:

The only way around this would be to directly use the Inventory API to add a model ID to your collections.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.