Atherum ─ advanced anti-alternate account system concept

Lmao no.

1 Like

Privacy.

30 Cha_ra limit be like:

2 Likes

CPU time is not a unique identifier - someone could totally have the same CPU time as someone else.

As stated in the GitHub repository, it is a privacy concern. Use at own risk.

That is a 1/1,000,000 chance to happen?

Maybe, but it’s not unique, or atleast I do not consider it as such. There are no safeguards in place to ensure someone doesn’t have the same CPU time as someone else, after all.

A user ID is a unique identifier. Two people cannot have the same user ID, but since it is directly supplied by Roblox it is OK to use. Besides, there would be no point in using CPU time as a unique identifier, it changes far too often and would be useless checking against.

I’ve seen a lot of negative comments on this plugin. I wanted to share my personal story to show everyone how useful Atherum could be used for good and maybe encourage some of you to give it a chance

My Roblox game Pan Simulator was cyberattacked by a team of organized exploiters created solely for the purpose of attempting to destroy Pan Simulator. They used multiple different exploits on alt accounts. I added an account age system that automatically kicks anyone with an account under a specified age, but Atherum has done so much to help me when they started buying up a lot of 2017 bot accounts, bypassing the system. This plugin was easy for me to customize to fit my needs, and now the Pan Simulator attacks have mostly subsided in game. Now, I can focus my efforts on other bigger issues without directly impacting the Pan Simulator community, such as them obtaining a copy of Pan Simulator and threatening to reupload it on the DevForums.

Overall, this plugin has helped me tremendously and I totally recommend this plugin to everyone struggling with attackers, as this also works with the Blueberry admin panel which has anti exploit capabilities that have helped the Pan Simulator Moderator Team take swift action against these attacks. Thank you for making this!

4 Likes

Not sure why we would use this if the scripts don’t work

You’re mistaken, “share” means just what it implies - share with someone else, not storing it for logistical purposes w/ notification (provided that you are not building a profile of an account) in accordance with Roblox’s Privacy Terms, the GDPR and CIPA.

1 Like

Tl;DR: Alt Detection is a good concept but not reliable.

So, alt detection is yes a good concept but it is something that should never be 100% trusted as systems such as Atherum, fingerprinting, etc. can all be spoofed very easily by simply an exploit/exploiter spoofing the CPU time to a random value or even any value at all through the client and while viewing Atherum’s API and Source I it seems as if they grab data such as a users friends, account age, groups, badges, membership, etc. which are all relying on anything a user could get by playing with a friend or even their sibling that shares a computer with similar game interests. There are many flaws in a system like this even while including the fingerprint method as unreliable. Systems like this should never be automated to handle moderation with kicks or bans and instead should be used as a minor factor in taking a moderation report. At the end of the day, the anti-exploit you use should be designed for your own game, and even though a tool like this is useful it’s not 100% reliable nor does it seem like it will be for the future due to Roblox’s limitations.

I’m not saying this is a bad resource but instead saying it should be used for minor factors within a moderation report if the user ends up causing trouble. Scripts cannot tell someone’s true intention even if they are an Alt.

It’s even easier, i remember getting banned 3 hour from a game, i just joined on my alt (Wich i created long ago) and i just had to add friends, join a random group and to restart my phone (cause of the os.clock thingy) and boom , i was able to play.

1 Like

I see alot of complaints, but it seems like many people are missing the point. This module is customizable, which means that you don’t have to kick people! It would be better to use this as a warning system for moderators. I wouldn’t recommend using this module to take any direct action without human input, it would be great for allowing moderators in game to better monitor the behavior of suspicious accounts.

I also saw someone say that this module will get you banned because it logs personal information. You can’t get personal info from a roblox user unless you specifically ask them for it, or you use API to check their IP ( which this module doesn’t do ). The only info this module requests is info that roblox already provides you, such as what groups you’re in, who your friends are, and how old your account is.

Edit: This module might not be for every game, it’s likely that players don’t have alot of friends or badges. But there are some good use cases, such as closed community games where it’s uncommon for random children to play or even be interested in, such as Milsims or SCP SRPs. It’s common in these types of games for them to be raided by exploiters or enemy groups who might even dox you.

1 Like

How do you check for a player being verified. The Verified, Bonafide, Plaidafied hat?

And how can you check if a player is id verified?

1 Like

Multiple people are not id verified and have voice chat.

1 Like

yes, I would fork this so it would use player:IsVerified() to check

2 Likes

I can’t use the resource right now. Are there cpu time checks?

By the time we released Atherum, this function was not available. However, thanks for bringing it to our attention. We will update the module as soon as possible.

2 Likes

Can you add checks for cpu time just as another backup?

Thank you this is very useful.