Attempt to index nil with 'Text' error

Would something like this work?

I get this error now:

[13:45:14.865] - TextLabel is not a valid member of Frame

Try what he said? Because script-wise there is nothing wrong (pretty sure), there may be another script destroying them (or other services interfering or bugging out?)

Maybe this, although you’ve already tried it.

I created your exact code with your exact hierarchy in a completely blank baseplate, using a script inside of ServerScriptService to hold the code you’ve given, and created the two BillboardGuis in ServerStorage.

It works perfectly as expected.

Another script is interfering (as @deprecatedHeart & @TheMirrorGameCreator stated) or there is something else going on. Here’s the empty baseplate place where it’s working fine:
BillboardGuiDemo.rbxl (22.9 KB)

Always check in a blank place with no other scripts before embarking on this wild goose chase that the forum has you running.

I used advanced search while in test mode, and searched up the stuff I said before, It was only in scripts that were for bubble chat etc.

If you think the bubble chat might be the issue, include that in the blank place I’ve sent and see if it stops working. If so, you found the problem script. So then it’s just a case of finding the line that causes it and understanding why the bubble chat script would be doing that, and whether you can modify it to prevent it.

The VERY VERY weird thing is that, I examined both our games, and EVERYTHING is identical.

There will be a difference somewhere. Programming is quite deterministic and for the same setup you should get the same output.

If there are any scripts in your game other than the one that performs this task, disable them all. Check it works. Enable each other script one by one, testing after each gets enabled, to see if it still works. You will encounter a point where it doesn’t work and that’s the script that is causing the problem.

Alternatively, if you want to upload the place here, or send it in DMs, I can take a look and then report the problem on this thread for other developers to be aware of.

Try check if Archivable on “TextLabel” is set to true, this was the only way I found to reproduce the same error.

1 Like