Attributes - Now Available!

I’ve been using Attributes a ton, and it has probably been my favorite Roblox Studio update ever!

However, there are two more types that aren’t included yet that would be useful: CFrame and Object (like in ObjectValues). If those two types are added, I could say goodbye to Values forever!

30 Likes

This is a blessing, no more using values for me (for the most part).

4 Likes

Very excited to see this release! Will definitely be of great help for current and future projects :grin:

2 Likes

Now I can store client-specific values directly in players :slight_smile:
There are so many uses for this, from flags to well… anything. Goodbye ___Values

2 Likes

Definitely easier than telling people to manually change values for every single value within a model. It saves more time! Hope this is released, I would
love to learn more of how it works.

3 Likes

Once attributes support more stuff like Instance, CFrame, etc. can we expect ValueBase to become deprecated?

9 Likes

Yesss I have been waiting for this, no more need to have clutterous values all over the place, you can really tailor your instances to your needs which is very useful. :slight_smile: Good job Roblox.

2 Likes

Crazy excited to get to work and start using these! This is a big step towards custom classes on roblox. Can’t wait to see what’s in store!

3 Likes

How would this work for existing property names? How would this work for children with the same name? Which would have more precedence? This is already an issue where Roblox adds conflicting property names, that is why you should use :FindFirstChild for getting instances from name. So they likely only allow interacting with attributes through getters and setters so this issue is avoided.

5 Likes

Dirty ValueBases be gone! Is it recommended to cache GetAttribute and update the cache on AttributeChanged? Or does roblox already do this?

I know for ValueBases you have to do this if you’re reading from a value frequently

8 Likes

Awesome! I will 100% have a go with this. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Awesome!

I closed Studio to renew some items and when I came back and selected an item, the properties showed “Add Attribute”.

This is finally here, as it takes away configuration folders and values.

1 Like

I am disappointed that the beta post mentioned implementing new value types, and yet Object and CFrame, the most requested value types, have yet to be supported.

Nice update nonetheless.

5 Likes

@WallsAreForClimbing

1. Can we have a list of supported types?

2. I assume that Attributes behave like CollectionService for replication?
    (Server will overwrite / remove Client Attributes)

AttributeService supports using Instance as an Attribute

2 Likes

Love the update, Happy its out now!

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this! I can finally make my items (dropped items ingame) have proper IDs attached without having to deal with using a value object! Not to mention the uses this will have for oop

3 Likes

Object values are pretty understandable. What if you stored an array of instances in an attribute, and one of the instances was destroyed. Would the array have a hole? It’s just asking for confusing replication behaviors.

7 Likes

Speaking of arrays, I don’t think you can store multiple objects in a single attribute to begin with. That’s another high-demand feature.

3 Likes

This is gonna be soo useful for game development so you don’t have piles of values in models or parts. Good addition! Also will be good used with OOP.

5 Likes

Seems handy! Are there any performance benefits to using Attributes over Value Instances?

2 Likes