Automatic Translation: Full Platform Rollout!

Whatever will happen to transators?
:thinking:
I think this is a great feature. Maybe this can be expanded for all games?

6 Likes

They will suck, and you can be pretty much sure about that. You can still translate it normally though. But I just don’t like this auto-translation either. It’s more about the profit of Roblox / Roblox Games, and it can be worse of an experience, a lot of games I see out there, have SUPER bad translations. And AUTO translation is just worse. Another thing, sometimes no translation is better than a bad translation.

13 Likes

What’s this quota you speak of? Will there be a limited number of translations possible?

4 Likes

There isn’t a single program in the world that has translation quality on par with manual translation as translation technology hasn’t developed enough to replace translators. I highly doubt Roblox will be the first one to do so, and translators will still be as relevant as ever. Roblox’s translation quality is terrible and you should never pick automatic translations over actual translators. In fact:

Relying on an inaccurate program is not only a worse alternative but can also ruin a game. Developers should always pick translators over a clearly flawed algorithm.

17 Likes

I don’t think it’s gonna be a big issue for translators. I’m not sure on that. It doesn’t seem like auto-translation will be ever better. I messed around using google translator and I understand both Portuguese and English, and it was so bad. I DID not publish those changes.

7 Likes

As if my experience with games that clearly throw the game’s text into google translate wasn’t bad enough. Really not a huge fan of this update and the fact some devs will pick this over actual genuine translators just saddens me, going to probably switch my language back to english if i start noticing problems with this new “feature”.

EDIT: Well who could have guessed, had to switch back to english since roblox has forced this update that clearly doesn’t work onto me without any way to opt out other than changing my language, we should be given an option to opt out of something that’s clearly not refined enough, forcing it onto a whole language is just not the way to go.

11 Likes

This sounds great, making Roblox games accessible to much more languages will gain a lot of extra players for Roblox. Keep it up :smiley:

Also, I kinda think this is making AI take over even more, what will happen to @Translators after this change? This just seems like it’s killing more jobs, they’ve ruined Clothing Designers and they tried to destroy SFX Designers with the Tommy Tallorico advert in Announcements and now it feels like their next aim is Translators. Roblox should be trying to keep as much human jobs on the platform as possible.

7 Likes

Yes!!! Finally, this is out for everyone!
And for anyone asking:
You can set the AutoLocalize property to false on instances you don’t want to be automatically translated (such as bubble chats).
And strings like “You earned 50 coins” turn into something like “You earned {{number1}} coins” on the translator portal so the number is preserved.

8 Likes

Awful from personal experience. Had to replace them far too many times.

10 Likes

Here we go, mandatory utilization of unfinished tools! Can’t wait for international experiences to be further soured by this.

18 Likes

Today is a bad day.
Automatic translations are really inaccurate, they will never really replace human translations. Things such as context matters a lot, there are many words in english that do not have a literal translation to portuguese, I’m sure many other languages will suffer with that same thing.

I’m pretty sure the only happy people with this update are either small developers with no viable way of hiring translators or average players who do not know automatic translations suck.

19 Likes

That’s basically correct. The sentence will be translated and the number will remain the same. Numbers will also localize to the correct format for separators like ‘,’ and ‘.’

8 Likes

Is there a choice to only translate certain strings?

2 Likes

Only if you set up the UI in-game to not translate.

6 Likes

What I’m worried about is how well accurate is the Automatic Translation is, personally I would still just hire a normal translator

7 Likes

This may be a decent update for people who would love to have localization implemented in their game but cannot afford hiring others.

However, it’s advised to let people know about their multiple and fatal disadvantages.

• AI cannot detect context at all, most strings will be confusing to read and totally not readable or understood.

• Some translators (me included) have found out that some common words in certain languages are so poorly translated that they translate to swear words or other inappropriate contexts. Keep in mind these strings dont get censured or anything, as they pass moderation automatically.
    [https://twitter.com/dronetto_/status/1336108499651137536?s=21](check this tweet out)

• If you think hiring professional translators is a worthless investment, rethink your options. You may spend a lot on every single one of us; however with good and accurate localization you’ll attract a more wide audience into your game and obtain more profits.
    If you get poor localization, players won’t feel pleased to play the game, and would either stop playing the game or swap languages to English (which would make localization useless.)

Please i beg everyone to know that Automatic Translations are not effective, and not only your game gets affected, but the actual freelancers on the platform whose job is to translate games.

34 Likes

Although I do think this “helps” many developers quickly port their games to other languages (in an effortless way which I wouldn’t recommend if they are looking for a quality end product), I believe that the way Roblox marketed this feature as “near to natural language” was inappropriate and should instead have been marketed as a temporary solution for quick language support.
David Baszucki told us during Virtual RDC 2020 that it would be a completely accurate feature after the developer community had expressed concern about the potential downsides.

Nothing will replace human translation, and this will be reflected in most games where Roblox translators have been working for years and the creators see value in international user retention.
Real retention, not first session duration or even 1-week return, which I assume is the “newer user retention” metric you guys have measured:

As a final comment, this very issue (bad automatic translation) is where human, community-sourced efforts came into place, since many—even Roblox—had expressed that having a few translators may be too little for the number of content updates of some games, and it seems this automatic translation feature has just started to show the flaws that many of us feared but knew it would have.

Just one reference for flaws: Machine translations for certain languages are incorrect for the most part - Bug Reports / Engine Bugs - DevForum | Roblox

21 Likes

They said it in the post. As you can see from the quote.

1 Like

Feedback

Personally I think this will have a good outcome (being optimistic). If this isn’t automatic translation that is extremely inaccurate like many other translating machines, then this will open up to other users.
As long as it doesn’t get in my way as a primary English speaker, and isn’t inaccurate, then I don’t see issues.

Feedback and Answers to Replies

Assuming that they use real data, it will likely be preserved or said in word form in the langauge.

This was discussed in the post. They said “Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Japanese, Korean, Italian and Russian.”

This is a great point, as many other translations are using automated, and are very inaccurate and inappropriate. If you ever tested Google Translate, make a paragraph in English (or your primary language), run that through multiple languages in random orders, and convert it back to English. It will likely NOT match up.

3 Likes

I asked what languages are planned for the future, not the ones being enabled now.

5 Likes