Automatic Translation: Full Platform Rollout!

Why are people complaining about this rollout? There are literally only benefits to this situation - small developers (which there are a lot of) who cannot afford translation but still want to somewhat support other languages can now do so. Obviously, it’s not good, but if they can’t afford any better alternatives then this is better than nothing. Especially with this full-platform roll-out, I believe the automatic translator will improve itself through the various large amounts of data being collected, thus allowing it to better translate content.
If you don’t like it, just disable the feature and hire translators. No one is preventing you from doing so!

Disagree, nobody knows what the machines will output their translations, could it be profanity, could it be bad grammar, or could it possibly be a pejorative, who knows?

2 Likes

Okay, then just disable it fully in that case. What is the issue?
And as stated, with such a large data set that people are providing with their games to the translator, it will become reliable (in terms of cuss-words) very quickly.

What if it was disabled by default and could be enabled at any time. Instead of forcing it to everyone without their consent.

Why do you think they’re announcing this beforehand?

Most of the platform users don’t even know of the existance of the DevForum.

And what prevents them from doing a quick google search? I’m sure every major game developer is a DevForum member, or has at least heard of it. Implying people don’t know how to search for how to disable automatic translation is equivalent to saying they are unable to perform a simple google search.

Thing is most people won’t notice their game has been translated unless a player tells them.

No it won’t, google is able to get hundreds of times more data than roblox will ever be able to get in days.
And still google fails to translate correctly most of the time.

Because google supports nearly every language on earth. Also, Google does not benefit off of it’s translator, whilst a translator is one of the most crucial aspects for Roblox.

Alright, what do you think old backs auto translation from being efficient?

If your response is not text context, human writing behaviour and complexity, then you are wrong.

Languages are complicated, more complicated that what they seems, you cannot just translate one item from a language to another literally, you need context, and some times that context is not in the string of the item, but instead its inside the visual content that the user is able to see. A translation will never be right because of this.
Profanity’s are even worst, translators can fail and can put profanity’s where there’s none, which can lead to well, some questionable moments.

I also did some testing, and with only 5 strings text they all where in a way wrong, 2 where completely wrong, 2 others contained useless pronouns, and one was just literally translated, which meant it was correct but not good enough and the user would have probably been lost.

While automatic translation is a great tool, it should be turned off by default, and let developers turn it on by themselves.

And so we go back a full circle. Just turn it off, it is that simple.

3 Likes

Nope. Bad idea. I’m not even a translator and I think this is a huge mistake.

AI is imperfect and automatically translating things is a terrible idea. A lot of people that are for this idea think that it will be helpful for small developers (such as myself), but, in the end, it will only worsen things. We can’t become reliant on this faulty technology.

Context is critical to speaking a language well. Google Translate has a lot of funding and research put into it, but it doesn’t matter. The translations are still imperfect and I can’t imagine the disaster that this new feature would cause.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest, nobody asked for this. Roblox should be doing more effective things in their time, not making some fun auto-translate stuff.

I will be using human translators and not some computer garbage.

3 Likes

The only thing I’m worried about is the accuracy of the translator. A normal sentence can easily turn into a weird or broken sentence. Here’s an example.
Want to play adopt me? (English) → プレイしてみませんか?(Japanese)
The player in Japan will read “Want to play adopt me?” as “Would you like to play?” and with more complex languages, a conversation most likely won’t last long because of how undeveloped the translator is.

Is it possible to disable this feature? I prefer playing games in English to playing in Dutch.

I think this is a great feature though, since there are a lot of kids on this platform, from all around the world. I think it will be way more fun for them to play, especially if they don’t speak English/Spanish so well!

There are roughly 6500 languages in the world, and it is practically impossible to manually translate them all, so I think this feature is great!

I will still prefer manual translation for the most-spoken languages like English, Chinese, Hindi, Spanish, French, Arabic, Russian and Japanese.

1 Like

What will happen for games not originally made in english ? Are they considering the french texts are english and making really bad translations in this case ?

I honestly hate this. I have a game and want a non automated bot doing it for me due to inconsistency and faulty design. This should be optional because it is not fair on us.

There are no announcements other than this topic, I can assure you the vast majority of people won’t know about the change.

2 Likes

Wait dont people in the beta program have this?