AutomaticSize not updating when object is set to be visible

This issue has caused multiple menus in my (in development) game to break.

3 Likes

Awesome, would you happen to have an ETA on this fix?

Just following up since this is blocking us from implementing AutomaticSize into our games

1 Like

Hey @Usering , we are currently working on fixing this issue. If possible, do you mind providing us with a place file or rbxm file where we can reproduce the issue also do some testings within? Thanks.

1 Like

Any updates on the status of this? I can also provide some samples of where AutomaticSize does not update on property change from None to Y and back. See the following gif: https://i.imgur.com/JGQhTAM.gif

In the gif, the chevron on the top right triggers a change to the AutomaticSize of the scrolling frame containing the row items. In-fact, both AutomaticSize and AutomaticCanvasSize are both changed here.

3 Likes

I am also facing a similar issue with AutomaticCanvasSize.

I provided attachments below to give a better visual on the situation.

- AutomaticCanvasSize not working
https://gyazo.com/2819d1dd130629175b8e0e1d89ab3940

- AutomaticCanvasSize working
https://gyazo.com/96d2f4afd622a81668dba689810d52cd

Reproducing the issue
I’ve provided a file below since explaining each step would be a bit too hefty.

AutomaticCanvasSize_Bug.rbxl (38.7 KB)

9 Likes

Hi, is there an ETA on when this will be fixed? Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi @Aurified , the fix should be in soon around this week. Thank you

10 Likes

Hi, has the update been rolled out yet? It seems like the AutomaticCanvasSize feature isn’t working at all now.

1 Like

Hi @Aurified , sorry to hear that it is still not working for you. Our recent update is a little different from the AutomaticCanvasSize issue, we will be taking a further looking at the case you provided.

2 Likes

This issue has still not been fully addressed.
When text is set before an object with AutomaticSize enabled is made visible, it will not update the size when it becomes visible.

AutomaticSize is a feature that has a lot of potential and it’s a shame to see it released broken and never fixed fully.

Here is a video of a case we are using it. You can see the text labels are set to be a width of 0 pixels, and have AutomaticSize set to “X”. When I update its state by toggling a property like RichText it does update. It needs to be automatic.

3 Likes

This issue still keeps happening. The scroll bar doesn’t seem to appear and function until a child in the frame is made visible/not visible or until VerticalScrollBarInset is changed to “ScrollBar”. I really hope this issue is investigated and fixed soon, I don’t want to write extra code or redo existing one just to bypass this issue.

4 Likes

@CharlieGordonnn While you’re looking into it, I’d appreciate if you’d also have fixed the padding with scale for uilistlayouts because, well, see for yourself:

image - This one is with automatic canvas size Y

1 Like

It appears that I’m having a similar issue: ScrollingFrame (+ UIGridLayout?) working funky as of a week or so

2 Likes

Looks like we got a Studio update, so I’m guessing a flag was flipped for this.

Doesn’t seem to be fully resolved. We use automatic size + ui list/grid layout. The game starts with this frame hidden and then made visible. You can see they have to have their properties changes to be recalculated. These frames have their size set to 0, so they should have no default or constrained size.

o8W8RCOF6N

The “Core” frame needs to be hidden. All other frames have to be set to be visible. Toggle visibility on core to see it.
automatic size grid repro.rbxl (35.1 KB)

It also happens with text labels on mobile. This one has its width size set to 0 as well. Notice the red button before the window opens has no text, and then after it shows “0/3”
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/816184919445209148/862455829676163153/RPReplay_Final1625695773.MP4

I’m also noticing problems with AutomaticSize. A couple months ago I coded a context (hover) menu in my game with AutomaticSize, and what previously worked no longer works and behaves very weirdly. Had to disable it.

1 Like

I can as well confirm this occurs with elements that are not visible all the time.

I coded and designed a context menu, worked fine, but after I logged back into the place and made it visible the alignment of the contents was all messed up.

The only workaround I have is to avoid using AutomaticSize, at least until it gets fixed, and instead implement your own solution. AutomaticSize (along with AutomaticCanvasSize) just seems to be very buggy right now and isn’t worth the hassle, not to mention mixing it with Scale has some undesired effects.

3 Likes

I managed to get it to work again by making all Guis inside invisible menus transparent rather than ticking Visible=False. Bit of a code smell, but it works for now.

1 Like

Sorry for the inconvenience, we are currently working to fully resolve this issue.

3 Likes

Was working on a small info GUI for a community place and ran into this bug and found this post.

First, a few things I noticed not noted in the past posts that might be helpful:

• If you update the GUI object so the scaling fixes itself, the scaling will be correct even if you then make the GUI invisible again and toggle it back, until the player resets.
  • The GUI elements can still correct themselves if the player changes their window size, though not always (wasn’t really able to figure out why it worked sometimes on all elements, and sometimes one would remain missized)
  • The same issue seemed to happen in studio sometimes too? I’d occasionally have to re-parent the GUIs to where they were supposed to be for them to adjust their size, but it wasn’t consistently happening enough for me to notice any real pattern.
  • AutomaticSize elements seem to freak out and miscalculate to be way too big when put onto a scrolling frame.

And then finally, my quick fix for any devs being affected by the problem, a small function resizing the direction that is set to automatic from 0 to 1 whenever that part of the GUI becomes visible is a fairly quick and easy solution, albeit not very elegant. Might also not be too practical with some of the more complexly structured GUIs people make.

[Edit: I should note this doesn’t work for the AutomaticCanvasSize problem also mentioned, but toggling it on and off works for it]