I imported a snake, with a singular chain of bones.

The first bone does not affect any of the geometry, even though I would expect it to move all of it. Is this convention? Why is this the case? All other bones do what I would expect.

Automatic Weights, Blender, Chain of bones.

2 Likes

by first bone do you mean the root bone that all the other bones are under in blender? in other engines that would move the entire rigged object, but Roblox is probably using the MeshPart’s positioning instead of that root bone. I haven’t used a skinned rig yet but that would make sense to maintain behavior consistency in engine.

1 Like

belongs in #help-and-feedback:art-design-support

1 Like

You should show what your snake’s skeleton looks like in Blender, expanded, and then also what your hierarchy of Bone instances looks like in Studio (screenshot the explorer window). Bone names and what they are parented to are all relevant.

Could you forward the post/ webpage containing the naming specifications? I were not aware as in the hierarchy here:

It’s not anything you did. It looks like you’re experiencing the bug talked about here: Skinned MeshParts are live! - #513 by MrChickenRocket

I just tried one of my skinned mesh characters, and can confirm that moving around the root bone does not have the correct behavior.