Backrooms Devlog

Welcome! I’ve created a backrooms style game and I’m going to post about it here!
Let me know what you think!

The game is called “Backrooms”. This is a randomly generated maze filled with hallways and corridors. The goal of the player is to escape the backrooms by getting the the Exit.

Exit:

Update V 1.0.0 :

There’s a monster roaming the halls named " The Howler ". If he spots you, he’ll give chase while “Howling” at you. It is possible to escape him using the Stamina bar. However, If he catches you, it’s game over. Make sure to listen for footsteps too.

Howler:

Stamina Bar:

BackroomsDevLogStamImage

The stamina bar has a yellow line, if your stamina goes be low the yellow line you slow down a lot. You can’t run while tired so if you run out of stamina you’ll be in big trouble. To regain speed after going below the yellow line wait for your stamina to go back above the 40% green line

There are arrows to point the way to the exit so it’s not nearly impossible.

Edit:

I updated the stamina bar gui:

Screenshot 2022-07-30 175002

Future Updates:

I plan to add new levels, a home screen, shop, and different modes to the game!

Conclusion:

The exit can be in 8 different places when the game starts. The game always checks if the player can reach the exit and the monster can reach the player.

Thumbnail:

I know it’s not the most original game. But I plan to add more unique and custom made levels and monsters in the future. Any feedback is appreciated. Thank you!

1 Like

Looking good so far! Thumbnail’s very nice. :+1:

Personally, I would add the wallpaper texture to the walls, maybe somewhat transparent so the concrete gives it texture - and also a metallic texture to the exit door to make it stand out a bit more.

Don’t worry about it seeming unoriginal, I can see here:

you have planned ahead some ideas which are bound to make it unique.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll think about adding the wallpaper, I do want it to seem more realistic and it feels like the wallpaper looks a bit cartoony. A metal sheen sounds like a great idea!

1 Like

The stamina doesn’t fit the style of the game (its too bright and happy, looks like a stamina bar from a simulator game or a low poly hang-out type game on a island, specifically with coconut trees lol)
Not sure how you should change it, but just make it more fit to the theme

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestion! Now that I think about it, you’re kind of right. I kind of just threw the gui together and focused more on the mechanical aspects of it. I did forget to point something out about the gui so I’m going to update the post if you would like to read it again. Thanks again. I just updated the gui.

1 Like