Baked Global Illumination Plugin Update!

// What is Bakey?

For any new readers, Bakey is a plugin that allows you to quickly bake Global Illumination using light emitters. Today, it’s getting an update, and it changes how Bakey works very drastically.

// How to use

Clicking on the topbar icon will open up a menu to configure bake settings

// Changes

Baking Sun GI now works by enabling a “bake grid” which moves with your mouse cursor. Clicking while having the bake grid enabled will bake GI with the GI settings.

Baking emitter GI now relies on selection. To bake GI for a light emitter, select it and press “Bake Emitter GI”

Removing Sun GI and Emitter GI options have been removed as the plugin now utilises ChangeHistoryService

There is also a multitude of new settings including:

• Color bleed amount - Determines how much colors should blend together
  • GI Shadows - Determines if GI emitters should have CastShadow enabled (turning this on is VERY laggy. Do not use it frequently in your games.)
  • Brightness - Multiplies GI brightness

// Here are some comparisons using Bakey:

Scene 1:

Scene 2 (NOT CREATED BY ME):

Scene 3 (NOT CREATED BY ME):

!DISCLAIMER!

Bakey can be very laggy when used with Future lighting. When baking GI for your game, please lower your bake settings to a degree where they look good, but are also performant. You may need to bake GI multiple times before you get something you like the look of.

43 Likes

So, I tried using it, but it does nothing. I clicked bake for selected emitter, and nothing happened. Any ideas?

1 Like

Make sure you select a part with a pointlight inside of it (you can also select multiple parts)

3 Likes

OHHHHHHHHH, THANK YOU! I kept selecting the lights themselves lol.

3 Likes

Are these screenshots were made with Future lighting? I’m kinda questioned about how’s it gonna look like on some dark environments with Future if it’s gonna cast some weird shadows on unneeded places, since I’m trying to aim on natural possible lighting in the dark time for my game right now.

And doesn’t GI work like in real-time in this plugin or smth?

Don’t mind me on these kind of questions, just curious ;d

These screenshots were taken with Future lighting, however I do not recommend using this plugin commonly with Future lighting, as its extremely unperformant. Stick to ShadowMap for now.
If its absolutely necessary to use Future, lower your bake settings by a lot.

Also the GI created by this plugin is baked and not realtime. If you need realtime GI, create a few bakes for different times of day, and lerp between them depending on what ClockTime is currently in-game.

1 Like

Awesome plugin, unfortunately i cannot install it right now with the new exploit that is going around. But looks absolutely sick!

Just tried the plugin, what is the shadowy plane here?

1 Like

Most likely one of the probes being accidentally placed inside of a part causing shadow artefacts. I no longer maintain Bakey so your best option is to manually move the probe, bake without shadows or use ShadowMap lighting.

1 Like

I have 2 questions do windows with color like red it makes the light red if it comes out of the red window
And the question 2 what is best settings I can do the game realistic like what baked global illumination is the best settings

Windows do not affect probe color, and as for settings, I recommend you to simply play around with them. I haven’t used or maintained this plugin for ages lol.

Here are the settings I used for testing the plugin:

Emitters:
2 bounces
15 samples

Sun:
2 bounces
Grid spacing 5 (for both x and y, you may need to lower this a bit in tighter areas)

Other:
0.5 brightness
1 color bleed (play around with this a bit)
Probe shadows off

1 Like

And btw is it real time like do it moves

Unfortunately it is not real time.

1 Like

Roblox Studio crashed and now i cant login into Roblox Studio. Thank You :rage:.