Ball flies completely off its expected trajectory when colliding with terrain?

I didn’t know if I should post this on scripting support, building support or bug report. But I do need Help and Feedback:
I have a golf game and started to make terrain maps instead of block ones, as I find them easier to use and more appealing to the players.
I didn’t notice at first, but there are a lot of times when the ball collides the terrain and it completely mess up the trajectory:

I don’t know why this happens, even because my script doesn’t directly change the ball trajectory, it just changes the force of a bodyforce inside the ball that simulates wind and the ball friction when on top of certain materials.
I also checked the terrain materials, and all of the ones I use for the playing field are visually flat:

Now I know that terrain could be not perfectly smooth as to simulate natural materials better, but the way the golf ball flies off its expected trajectory is too exagerated some times, and this might piss off some players. I also experienced problems with terrain on another game I had that used physics like this, but without changing any property of the projectile midthrow, and it still resulted in this issue some times.
If anyone can tell me a way to fix this, either by scripting or building (which isn’t about not using terrain) I would be glad.

2 Likes

Okay. Terrain can be odd sometimes with this, what I would suggest is putting a few anchored (invisible) parts over the terrain, so the ball never touches the terrain. This is a super simple fix, and would likely not even be noticed by any players.

The problem is when you have a complex terrain shape, but I guess that’s better than what it currently is. gotta add 1000 invisible parts to fix map collisions :confused:

That is an issue :frowning: I don’t really know what else to suggest. You could do as Super Golf does, and have the main gold map, but then a course made of parts on top of that.

I’ll probably just stick with it, even tho it might be annoying at times. Not so commom tho, and the green zone is always made from part so at least that wont happen there. Also might try to find a terrain to part plugin so I can create a part version of the map easily.

1 Like

Not too sure if your actually modeling the trajectory or smthg but try this:

Im not too sure if it works on terrain though

I actually tried using this before, and also tried to make a physics system just for balls Phsyics demo roblox video, but both werent good when handling friction/rolling a ball, as the collisions were checked as a dot and also it couldnt handle multiple collisions, so if there was a baseplate with a slope and the ball tried to climb that slope, it could actually pass through instead, because it checked only the baseplate as collision.