Banking System in Roblox

I would say I am and intermediate Lua programmer. Bear with me because I might not understand some topics.

I have a few questions regarding a bank system I want to make for Roblox. I have seem some posts on the stock market questions but not much on calculating interest rates.

Calculating Interest Rates

So my first question is about interest rates. How could you use os.time or os.clock to tell the amount of real life time it has been since that player deposited their money into their bank account.

In Game Stock Market

I have seen some posts on this and I still have some questions. In the game I plan on using HTTP Service to get real life data on how much certain stocks cost. Could this be considered gambling if the money used to purchase the stocks is purchasable by developer products, or if there is a gamepass that boosts the amount of currency used to buy them. And would using the stock data be against the NYSE.

I also had another idea and I am unsure if this is ok concerning the TOS. Instead of real life stock data, I could use the amount of players in a roblox game (Adopt Me, Bloxburg, Brookhaven) to determine how well a stock is doing. And would this be allowed too?

Stock Market
  • Use real life stocks
  • Use Roblox games
  • Other (say what you think would work)

0 voters

2 Likes

This would be a really cool thing to be implemented into your game. I would go with Roblox Games because you have to purchase an API to use real life stocks in your game (correct me if I’m wrong about this). @boatbomber actually made the real life Roblox stock in his own game and I think you will be interested in this:

Anyways, to get the time, I would send the current os.time to a datastore when the player purchases the “stock”, and then you can subtract it from the os.time when the player sells it to see how long it took.

2 Likes

Ahh ok that makes sense! I was over complicating it.

I have thought on making some sort of stock market game with real stocks and with virtual coins, but I realized that there are a few aspects that can’t really be done.

In the stock market, the prices go up when the demand is high. If you are planning on doing that on Roblox with http requests, you would have to run some calculations to generate a “fake” value.

You could probably implement your own economy in your game, without using any external sources

1 Like

I have created a stock market game that is currently active on Roblox. The real trick is getting the movement correct and life like. The math to do that is a bit tricky so I recommend doing some research.
Few tips:
Spend a lot of time calibrating, you won’t get it right the first time
Real life stocks are very difficult to implement into a game (currently struggling with it), use stocks with information you can control to get a feel for a system
Finally, items like interest are nice, but the vast majority of users aren’t going to take full advantage of it. Don’t focus on it as a key component of your game

Here’s the game if you are looking for inspiration: StockRise: Stock Simulator - Roblox

2 Likes

The whole game is about banking, but teaching it in a fun way. So I am going to try to still include interest.

In that case interest is more important.
Good luck in creating the game. It’s great to see other developers working on educational games!

1 Like