Best way to edit the default Roblox Chat?

I as a programmer are wondering, "What is the best way to edit the Roblox default chat w/o constantly having to go back in and re-edit it every time it’s updated?"

I’m attempting to edit multiple features of the chat, mainly Color Settings, Window Settings, Font Settings, and Channel Settings.

I’m also attempting to add special chat tags & chat colors for certain people / people with certain gamepass’s, but most method’s that I’ve tried require using the modules.

The issue is, I’m not wanting to keep the modules stored in ChatService because Roblox frequently updates the chat, therefore I don’t feel like having the hassle of going in and constantly updating things.

I’ve tried multiple solutions such as simply using the modules I need to then importing the rest via using ImportDefaultModules, but I don’t know if this is the best method as I’m certain they must update the Chat Setting’s somewhat often.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks :slight_smile:

or if someone is willing to code a custom chat for me with quite a few extra features that I’d need, I’m willing to pay. Yeita#8354 (I prefer to use Roblox’s default though.)

I believe there is a way to call a set tag type function on the player, and it’ll update their tags. If anyone on the forum knows what I am talking about please let me and op know. I forget and actually need to use this, I’ll continue trying to look it up and find it and I’ll come back here and reply if I find it.

1 Like

Well what do you know; How would I make chat tags?

I believe this should work, just experiment with it and if you have any problems just come on back here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ehh that really doesn’t help much. Hmm :thinking:

https://developer.roblox.com/articles/Lua-Chat-System/API/ChatSpeaker
https://developer.roblox.com/articles/Lua-Chat-System/API/ChatMessage this is also useful because it has everything you can set

Using the SetExtraData function you can set things like the font, color, tag, all of it.

4 Likes

Hopefully this will be useful. Thanks!