Best way to learn how to script

Hello everyone! My name is Crills! I am new to the Roblox Developer Forum and I have one main questions for the Scripters or just everyone in general. What is the best way you guys all learn or remember how to script? Do you guys just know it off the bat? Do you keep files and copy and paste Scripts? (Save a script on notepad or whatever). Do you just study scripts on a regular basis? Please tell me the best way to start learning and remembering how to code! Feel free to help each other out in the replies. This can also be for Builders, Artist, Composers ETC.

Edit - Well this got closed because “I didn’t search this topic”. Very annoying that this happened because I actually want to interact with everyone and ask them questions that I have. But its fine thank you all for the answers! Hopefully they will help me!

2 Likes

Yes I have tried watching Youtube. But give me some ways YOU guys actually do it and what you think is more effective.

Please…

These are the ways me and over a hundred other users have learnt to script, scripted or what they think is more effective, along with resources too.

But since you’re new, no, we don’t copy and paste scripts (at least not experienced developers) because it actually helps you learn while you code the solution to your problem from scratch.

Another method is that new developers learn from breaking up code in free model items to get over basic coding usually, use this and the DeveloperHub for more information on deprecated and newer functions etc. along with the DeveloperForums .

Take a look at my linked post for similar questions as yours.

1 Like

The best way to learn scripting is whatever works for you.

When it comes to learning, I generally prefer videos over written articles, as the extra layer of audio really helps with my process. But the process is different for other people, just try to figure out what works best.

Take a look at Fusion’s post above for additional resources.

I am still learning but I know the basics. You just have to keep practising over and over until it gets stuck in your brain, then you can automatically think, “Oh yeah, I just need to put this as I know what this will do.” and stuff like that. On youtube a few good youtubers that I watch for scripting are zingoDev_YT, Alvin_blox, PeasFactory, and Sheasu. There are way more that do scripting tutorials.

Yeah I heard of them. I like Alvin Blox the most. Very smart kid and many videos to watch by him.

1 Like

I am still in the process of learning how to script. Often times, I just import a free model script and try to see what each bit of the script does. I refer to devforums as well and different Roblox articles. If needed, I reach out to scripting groups to fix errors or silly mistakes I may have done. I’d suggest YouTube videos, devforum, talking to other developers, and the wiki. Hope this helps! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I started learning how to script when I was 10 using YouTube. I kept watching videos until I understood programming enough to understand what the Developer Hub and other programming resources were saying then it became much easier to expand my knowledge from there.

Watching youtube and reading the developer hub isn’t what made me good at it though. Sure it taught me how scripting works and told me how to do specific things, but the way I got good at it was by trying to make games with what I did know. Ever since I started learning I wanted to make a game so that’s what I tried to do. I would think up some idea and try to make the game even though there were parts of it that I didn’t know how to script. When I got to those parts of the game that I didn’t know how to make I would go back to youtube and see if there were any videos that would teach me how to do that specific thing or a least a part of it so I could figure out the rest.

I never completed any of those games that I tried to make while I was learning but every time I tried to make one I would get better and better at scripting because of that one bit of the game I didn’t know how to make. After a while of doing that I understood a lot more how scripting works and how to put together different commands to do what I needed.

To answer your other questions, I remember how to script because I do it all the time. I script just about every day, when you script that often you remember a lot of commands and what they do and if I forget which I still do often I can just google it.

When I need to script something new I can usually figure out pretty quickly in my head the general idea of how the script(s) will go.

I really only save module scripts if they have a bunch of commands that I made that I would want to use in another game

I don’t really ever study code unless I am trying to fix bugs or I am looking at someone else’s system that I want to better understand. It definitely was not a tactic that I used when trying to learn scripting I never knew what I was looking at and it just frustrated me.

Hope this helps, good luck at scripting

2 Likes

Amazing response! Good luck to your future projects.

I first learned by trying to interpret free model scripts and duplicate whatever made sense to me.

This isn’t very efficient and can be very time consuming, but it eventually worked for me to the point where I could make simple scripts on my own.

1 Like

Tbh i don’t even know how i learned scripting, but there is an actual reason, but due to the rules on roblox and here in the forums, i may not say it, what is very useful to do is watch the youtubers tutorials! Sheasu will be the best one for start, but then when you get a little better, you can jump to Alvinblox.

You are using the forums! Which already something good, something that roblox made was the dev hub, where a great part of what you will use in development will be.

If you have any questions, just dm me, and make sure to check XxELECTROFUSIONxX reply, it will be useful for you.

I suggest start with youtube. I suggest you first do Roblox’s youtube channel (yes they have some videos from 2014, 2015, 2016). Then once you start getting in to more advanced stuff then start asking the dev forum. Also start watching other youtube videos and use free models as examples. Make sure to take everything step by step. good luck with your coding journey! :+1: :+1: :+1:

Thanks! Good luck to you too :smile:

Please search before posting.