Better Chat V3 | Custom chat with replies, rich text, message editing, and more!

It shouldn’t have to be ported to ROBLOX’s new chat system. First that new garbage chat system is garbage, and second, BetterChat handles it’s own filtering using ChatService/TextService.

As long as ChatService and TextService API/Docs don’t change with the new chat system, specifically :FilterStringForBroadcast() and :FilterStringAsync() respectively, then the chat wouldn’t have to be ported to that garbage. Even then, all that would have to be done is just update according to the new docs, everything else would stay the same.

Just assuming based on what I’ve seen going through the BetterChat code and knowing how garbage this new ROBLOX chat is (opinion).

2 Likes

Ah, I was just wondering since Roblox said they will eventually remove LegacyChatService.

I just want to make it clear that they will deprecate the LegacyChatService, not remove it. Removing it will break numerous games on the website which would be pretty bad. We wouldn’t want that to happen would we? :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Can someone please add VR support? It would help out A lot.

I don’t know if this is an error on my part but the chat doesn’t pop up in game, everything works fine in studio though. This is from the client-side, no errors server-side.

1 Like

I found the error, its on Line 45 in the localization scripted located in Main Module > Client > Modules Core. For some reason "game:GetService(“LocalizationService”).RobloxLocaleId returns “” instead of the actual LocaleId. I simply replaced that little piece with “en-us” and it fixed all the errors within the chat.

Oh? What language do you have roblox on default set to? That’s really weird that it returns “”.

I have it set to English yeah I thought it to be weird to

When multiple players are in the game, some players just cannot chat… I have to disable it from my game because of that.

Is there any way to hide the input text when not hovering over the chat field?

What do you mean? I’ve never seen this bug happen before.

There is not currently, but when I can work on this again I can add this as an option if you’d like.

That would be great thank you…

Can you please be patient, adding VR support isn’t so easy and also the head developer of this system is pretty much taking a break currently. If the feature is so important to you either please wait or even try making it yourself and sharing your findings here for everyone else

2 Likes

There are multiple issues I’ve ran into while using your awesome chat system.
When people chatted sometimes there will be another ghost message on top of original message saying _____.
And it would be great if you implemented connection so you can make system messages in chat, it would be useful for my game.

2 Likes

There is a way of making a system message but it is true it’s very indirect. I gave an example of system messages here:

I do agree that there should be a more direct way of doing this as the API suggests there actually is an easier way, but there isn’t.

Was reading the comment, does :systemMessage really not work? If so, can you provide a sample and screenshots to my PMs?

(Typing from my phone so I apologize for no indentations)
Client —> Addons

return function(api)
api:systemMessage("Hey")
end

Hey! I’m using the chat system and it seems to be working for everyone besides those on mac (chat not appearing), is there a way to fix it for them?

Nvm i found how to do it

1 Like

For a theme system I ment like colors, as well as a way to easily change the radius of each ui corner.

1 Like