BetterJeep v1.2 - A revolutionary Jeep, Now with car customization

You might know of this horrible jeep:

Yeah, this one with lack of mobile support, bad acceleration, and really old?

Well, I have completely fixed up most of not all of the issues with this jeep! I also added a few customization options as well, such as FullSpeedTime, to adjust the acceleration, and EngineSound, to toggle off and on the sound of the engine.

New Features:

Mobile Controls:

(UI can easily be changed, I didn’t spend a lot of time with the UI)

Acceleration:

One of the first things people say when I ask them about the old jeep is that it has horrible acceleration. Say no more! Acceleration has been added with the use of TweenService!

Deprecated? Say no more!

I have rewrote most of the code inside of the old jeep and made it into new code! In the old jeep, most of it is deprecated.

NOTE: I am not the best at Raycasting, and I tried using the new Raycast System, but couldn’t figure out how without breaking it. If you know how to use new Recasting, let me know!

Configuration Documentation:

Property Description Default
AllowedToExit Determines if the player is allowed to exit the Jeep true
Bounce Used to determine Force. Jeep works best if you do not change this. 100
EngineSound Used to determine if the engine has a sound or not. true
FullSpeedTime Used to determine how long in seconds it takes for the Jeep to get to full speed. Set to 0 for no acceleration. 4
Height Used to determine how high the Jeep thrusters can go. Jeep works best if you do not change this. 3
Speed Used to determine how fast the Jeep can go (In Studs / Seconds) 100
Suspension Used to determine how high the Jeep is. Jeep works best if you do not change this. 4
TurnSpeed Used to determine how much force the Jeep turns. 2

Can I use this and build my own car?

Yes it is possible! Just delete everything except for the Chassis and Wheels!

Do you have a game that you use this in?

Yes, Bloxy Kart is my game that I operate that uses BetterJeep.

How to get?

Here:
As a Model file: BetterJeep.rbxm (63.5 KB)
As a Free model: BetterJeep - Roblox

The Future:

I plan on adding more customization, to eventually compete with the buggy and very old A-Chassis. If you have any feedback, feel free to leave a reply down below!

Thanks for reading!

60 Likes

how about exit car button ?, can you make it ?

1 Like

Ah yes. I forgot about that. Sorry, this Jeep was originally optimized for my game, Bloxy Kart. Gonna add it in the next iteration.

2 Likes

This is very neat and excellent and I do got 2 not very important questions but I’m just curious.

1. Does it support Xbox?
  2. Does it still use Raycast or does it use suspension (aka springs)?

Oh wait I got 2 other questions and these are important.

1. Does the wheels roll down when the vehicle is in a downhill place? If yes then this is perfect and would be even better if you added a Park Button so it won’t roll down.
  2. Can you make it driftable?

Sorry for all the questions but these are my suggestions to make the Jeep even better and luxurious, overall 10/10 would recommend to others!

1 Like

The original didn’t have good Xbox support, and I killed off support completely. On mine, it is actually pretty easy to implement. Since Bloxy Kart is not yet Xbox support, I have not added xbox support to this yet, but I will work on it for the next iteration.

It uses Raycasting still. The reason is because Bloxy Kart would need a lot of reworking in order to have it be supported with springs. Yes it still uses the old Raycasting methods, and I am really bad with raycasts. I did follow the Raycast documentation, but kept breaking it every time I tried.

Yes, it still rolls down on steep hills. I will begin to research on how to fix this for a future iteration.

The Bloxy Kart Team is working on making a drifting system actually! it is just very buggy at the moment, and probably won’t come for a while.

Yup! Thank you for the good feedback!

2 Likes

A huge flaw in your implementation of mobile controls is the lack of analog control. Throttle and even steering cannot be controlled linearly, only in a binary way using the buttons.

Why not just use a VehicleSeat and read the ThrottleFloat / SteerFloat values? Then it will work on all platforms.

2 Likes

ok, i hope you can make it nicely !!!

1 Like

Thank you for the replies! I hope everything goes well, and take your time if my suggestions take a long time to make or if it’s hard! Again, 10/10 resource!

2 Likes

Cool car model. I know how to use the new raycasting not the new Recasting. Recasting isn’t even a thing

Yeah sorry. That is autocorrect lol.

I wanted to make the mobile steering the same as computer steering.

1 Like

Can you find a way to make sure that its easier to manipulate the steering (Direction) of the car.

This opens up to more opportunities:

• Self Driving Jeeps (We can already manipulate the speed, just not the steering)
  • Rear wheel steering (If possible)

Speaking of rear wheels, it would real nice and sattisfying if the wheels themselves are actually spinning.

2 Likes

Hey everyone!
I have created BetterJeep 1.1, however, I want to make sure it is 100% stable and ready for Public Release.

If you can, please do multiple tests on multiple different games, and report back here and tell me results and experience.

BetterJeepBeta1.1.rbxm (54.5 KB)

1 Like

OMGGG did you add the feature that i suggested?

When I click the blue link it downloads as an NotePad and everything look glitchy…?

If you go into roblox studio and drag and drop the file into a place then it should import.

1 Like

Not yet. I will figure out how to fix the wheel issue. I also think that Roblox broke it before, and self driving is not a feature yet. Would be pretty insane if I could figure that out. I thought that making this better was impossible, but I did it.

Drag the .rbxm file into an opened project in Studio.

1 Like

yay !!, thank you so much for this update and yeah i will give you feedback later :slight_smile:

1 Like

You didnt understand me, I said why not intergrate the ability to manipulate steering via bool values. This allows for easy use for steering manipulation in scripting projects. In other words, im not asking you to make an entire self driving system. Im asking you to make it easier to manipulate steering via scripting by either making bool values (Like two values named SteerLeft and SteerRight, if one of the said values are true then the car or the front wheels will steer to the corresponding position) or simply make the ability for us to easily manipulate the direction of all 4 wheels via a module or a value.

This is great for scripting projects which include:

Adaptive Cruise Control

Self Parking

Steering Assist

Or a full on driving AI for NPC traffic.