Big Changes to StreamingEnabled

The StreamingPauseMode is not scriptable, and the current pause state is read-only.

2 Likes

Thank you, this is a good step forward!
I love to see any update towards Streaming enabled as it directly impacts my game.
I will have to see how Gameplay Paused works, but I think it should be useful for many cases. As I recently noticed, sometimes players could fall of the map as they were walking in an unloaded terrain.

This is a fantastic improvement, however it’d be appreciated if we could get more control of streaming from the scripting side.

Additionally, will the gameplay pause feature ever be exposed to developers? It’d be neat if we could make our own pause systems (e.g. for singleplayer games)

4 Likes

The new update to define where to stream by setting a players Replication Focus variable has solved one of my largest issues with StreamingEnabled, and has made several of my projects work with StreamingEnabled.

Example situations of when my games would not work, but began working:

1. Anytime a character is not used (ie rolling ball, car driving)
  2. Whenever a player needs to be respawned/loaded to a new area, yet the area is not loaded.

Next, I need the ability to define what parts to keep permanently loaded onto the client. This affects the following games:

1. When playing a racing game, the ground may vanish or other vehicles may vanish.
  2. When playing a shooting game, the shooters in the distance may disappear, or important cover spots may reveal hidden shooters.

Thanks for the update, and please update to accommodate to my and many others needs to make streaming more viable.

8 Likes

Hey, I’ve been super critical of streaming in the past, especially when I was working at Roblox on the Reference Team. In fact, we were totally blocked on streaming for our Battle Royale game then that we had to just turn it off, which resulted in a really long round-beginning time because everyone had to load in before the flying bus could start moving…

But ever since this change, I’m actually really liking it! This is exactly what we needed for it to be a useful feature. I’ve noticed in my game, Bootleg Buccaneers, that distant terrain is actually visible, but at a very low LOD. This is fantastic! It was a huge blocker before, since my game involves sailing across big patches of water to distant lands. If you can’t see that land, you’re gonna have a really hard time navigating. I’ve turned it back on and I’m using it to great success. My game actually runs on toasters now.

I do have one further request: I would really like to set some parts as “always loaded.” I know that this feature will probably be heavily abused by a lot of developers, but it’s pretty important in my case, because I use some parts as location markers. For example, when you’re doing a quest in BB, you will have an on-screen location marker. However, when it can’t find the part in question, well…

I could work around this by having the server send these locations to the client, but adds a little more complexity to my code when it could be an engine feature that has many other uses.

16 Likes

I’ve been getting quite some reports from Xbox players that, whenever I enabled the client physics pause, only roughly the minimum range would be streamed in. When they walk around a little bit (out of the initially streamed region) the physics pause would trigger and last for a very long time (minutes) or some claim seemingly forever.
Whenever I disabled the physics pausing everything worked perfectly fine again for those users, everything streamed in up to the target range quickly.
Doesn’t seem to affect PC players at all, and not all Xbox users seem affected either. All affected Xbox users have an up-to-date client too.

Got to say that StreamingEnabled seems to behave completely reliably nowadays, though, which is great!

4 Likes

Would you mind sharing what place id you are encountering this problem on?

1 Like

I wish that when parts get streamed out they are replaced with a low poly or just a simple box, especially on games that require navigation on big maps. Maybe some parts that aren’t ever streamed out.

Adventure/Exploration games would benefit so much some this. Not having the entire view of the map and only seeing a small tidbit dejects player experience.

3 Likes

If it was just a low poly version it wouldn’t be streamed out since it would need the mesh data but we could use more render fidelity control as well. The box replacement idea is definitely needed though.

1 Like

We turned on an improvement for streaming - local parts will no longer be streamed out, unless they have remote ancestors.

19 Likes

Please reference the updated documentation for streaming:

5 Likes