Bloxtopia: MMO city-building and management game

Hello everyone!
My team is working on Bloxtopia: An upcoming MMO city-building and management game, powered by a player-driven, global economy! Players craft their own story in a boundless social universe to create the world of their dreams.

Here’s our teaser trailer:

Here’s our build mode preview:

And our upcoming roadmap:

:rocket: You can follow our updates on our Twitter and sign up for early testing access on our Discord!

We’re in the early stages of developing the core framework for the game, so we’re looking for some feedback on the following:

1. What do you like / dislike most about our current content?
    (The buildings are temporary, we will be adding higher-quality assets in the coming weeks)

2. What features / mechanics would you most want to see in the game?

Thanks so much! We plan to host testing sessions in the future when more content is available :smiley:

38 Likes

Sounds really cool! I hope it will be a succesful project!
How are you guys planning to manage markerting and the budget for it?

3 Likes

Looking great. SimsCity Roblox Budget Version :stuck_out_tongue:
The video is very useful for me, thanks a lot!

1 Like

The buildings are too tall, bland, too bright and the city have no style.
Is it futuristic? Cartoonish? Realistic? Retro? None.
Goal of game unclear, is it just to grind and build more?

3 Likes

Looks promising, how are you going to implement the massive-multiplayer mechanics? How will they work?

I would implement blinking windows so the city feels more alive, just a random idea that came to my mind. :grin:

4 Likes

I like it!

Allowing more variation in the map than just a flat grassland island would go a long way though.

2 Likes

Looks like a game competent enough for the front page. A few comments though:

• I’ve always disliked how you are free to walk around in these city/building games and you can step on everything like you are some sort of bootleg king kong.
  • Try to make the map bigger or on a smaller scale so you are able to expand your city and make randomly generated terrain (via a seed or something).
  • The name “city zoning” is a bit misleading since you aren’t designing zones but rather scattering buildings around. It would be faster and more convenient if buildings were randomly generated, like in SimCity or Cities: Skylines.
4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback!

The buildings are subject to change (they’re untextured and unioned), we’ll be adding much better models, don’t worry ^^
We also plan for the ability to customize the buildings using the painter tools, so you can build in your own theme.

There is actually a pretty specific goal (no spoilers yet), but we’ll be uncovering more details about that in the coming weeks. (We’ll post updates on our Twitter and Discord :slight_smile:)

We’re actually taking a pretty unique approach on the genre—city-building is only one part of the game, there’s much more to it!

The game actually has a variety of social and multiplayer elements (e.g. building with friends and buying/selling in a player-driven economy.)
We plan to make the city much more lively by adding citizens + cars that travel around and interact with your city.

Sure, we’ll try that!

Sure, do you think it would help if players could shrink down and walk around the city like a citizen?

3 Likes

I really like the game, but I agree with some of the posts above. Blinking would be nice to add to the windows and maybe moving cars.

I have seen a lot of these on the front page and things, but this already looks better than all the other ones. Could you make it more interactive too? Maybe you can control airports, restaurants, etc. Maybe you could remove some of the neon from the buildings. To me it seems too bright and the buildings are too dark. Maybe adding some mountains, trees, and rocks around the map that you have to destroy later on to place builds there would look nice.

3 Likes

I would be amazed if you add survival, disasters or battle.
Just kidding I know you won’t :stuck_out_tongue:
Could try adding simulation of jobs as NPCs

2 Likes

music feels very uninspired and generic, needs more soul to it in order to make the game feel more alive and engaging.
(it sounds like a bland, roblox-provided audio.)

2 Likes

Try Liquid Cinema audios. Perfect for trailers.

2 Likes

That could work as a solution, or rather completely disable the player model and only have the city preview camera.

I think this project can easily dominate the Roblox algorithm if you continue this work. I already know that as soon as this releases, I’ll be checking it out in no time.

1 Like

Very well done! It’s nice to see an actually good quality building game on Roblox!
One thing though, I don’t think intersections in real life have trees in the middle.
Also maybe you could make little cars running through the streets.

2 Likes

Here’s a preview of the Alliance Tablet, your personal digital assistant in Bloxtopia!
With the touch of a button, you can quickly manage your city, staff, policies, economy, and more.

Let us know what you think! – Currently, we’re working on customizable options to simplify the four displays (Happiness, Economy, Staff, Cards) in the city management screen, so that it’s not overwhelming for users.

5 Likes

Hello all! We’ve just launched our teaser trailer:

As always, any feedback helps, such as:

1. What you enjoy or would improve about our current content
  2. What features / mechanics you’d like to see in the game
4 Likes

Roblox: alright yup, I don’t care if it’s not released put it on the front page this is way too good

if only Roblox would actually

Anyways, in all serious, this is a extremely good looking game for it not even being released, I love the mechanics, especially the UI and other graphics. Definitely going to have to sign up to be a tester. Awesome work, can’t wait to see more!

EDIT: as a reply to the post above, the trailer looks great. I don’t think anything should change if I’m being totally honest. (I didn’t see this in the trailer but…) Adding emergency services to respond to fires and calls (the player would select the burning building etc) and have the fire trucks and such drive to the emergency and do what they need to do.

AI civilians would be pretty cool too, and you could have police and what not respond to traffic violations. Just more things for players to do since it’s a city, and one of the things of managing a city is keeping everyone safe! As I said before, I really love the idea.

1 Like

Game looks great man! Have you considered adding disasters like pandemics, tornadoes, or floods?
Also I’d suggest changing the icons on the right side on the build menu, it seems kind of cluttered with so many colours. Maybe keep it to a single colour for each icon. Great work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you know what I think would be good? Sandbox mode, just so I can indulge my desires of seeing towering skyscrapers instead of miles/kilometers upon miles/kilometers of suburbia.

Another small suggestion: allow the ability to create larger alliances/nations of cities, so that maybe they could trade and help each other out, maybe even work together to achieve national goals. These would be like allowing cities to offer resources within their own nation, competitions between nations, helping each other recover from disasters, and possibly citizens commuting between other cities. :slight_smile:

I, as a dedicated mobile city-builder game player, am absolutely certain this will blow up in success. Do you guys have a mailing list so I can know when it’ll be released?

2 Likes